Chapter 46: I promise

Swan Song 2

"In between jobs, Sam, Dean and Alexis would sometimes get a day, sometimes a week if they were lucky. They'd pass the time lining their pockets. Sam used to insist on honest work, but now he's hustles pool, like his brother. They could go anywhere and do anything. They drove a thousand miles for an Ozzy show, two days for a Jayhawks game. And when it was clear, they'd park her in the middle of nowhere. Sit on the hood and watch the stars for hours without saying a word."

"It never occurred to them that, sure, maybe they never really had a roof and four walls. But they were never, in fact, homeless."

"Mistress Magda." Chuck answers the phone.

"Um, no, Chuck." Dean says.

"Oh, um, Dean. Uh, I didn't know that you'd call."

"Who's Mistress Magda?" Dean asks as he sat in the Impala, phone raised to his ear.

"Nothing. She's a, uh--Just a, uh--You know, a close friend."

"Yeah, I'll bet. What happened to Becky?"

"It didn't work out. I had too much respect for her." Chuck clears his throat.

"Well, you really got a whole virgin/hooker thing going on, don't you." Dean asks.

"Okay, this can't be why you called."

"Sam said yes."

"I know. I saw it. I'm just working on the pages."

"Did you see where the title fight goes down?" Dean asks.

Chuck sighs. "The Angels are keeping it top secret. Very hush-hush."

"Oh, crap."

"But I saw it anyway. Perks of being a prophet. Its tomorrow. High noon. Place called Still Cemetery."

"Still Ceme--Wait, I know that." Dean realizes. "That's an old bone yard outside of Lawrence. Why Lawrence?"

"Don't know. It all has to end where it started, I guess."

"Alright, Chuck, any way short circuit this?"

"Besides the rings? No, sorry."

"Well, do you have any idea what's gonna happen next?"

"I wish that I did. But I just--I honestly don't know yet." Chuck answers.

"Alright, thanks, Chuck." Dean hung up.

~~~

Dean closed the trunk of the Impala as Cass and Bobby walked toward him.

"You going someplace?" Bobby asks. Dean didn't answer. "You're gonna do something stupid. You got that look."

"I'm gonna go talk to Sam." Dean tells him.

"You just don't give up."

"Its Sam!" Dean hisses.

"If you couldn't reach him here, you won't be able to in the battlefield." Cass speaks up.

"Well, if we've already lost, then I guess I got nothing to lose, right?" Dean asks.

"I just want you to understand." Cass begins. "The only thing that you're gonna see out there is Michael killing your brother."

"Well, then I ain't gonna let him die alone."

~~~

The engine of the 1967 Chevy Impala revs, grabbing Michael and Lucifer's attention. Dean placed the cassette tape into the player, turning it up. Rock of Ages by Def Leppard blared through the speakers as Dean drives through the cemetery.