Chapter 38: There was literally an elephant in the room

Hammer of the Gods 1

Dean parked the car outside of the Elysian Fields Hotel in Muncie, Indiana. Rain poured, obstructing everyone's vision. Lightning crashed and thunder boomed, echoing throughout the forest. 

Collecting everything they need from the car, the three hunters run into the lobby, each sopping wet. Alexis shivered, making sure the blanket stayed over Madilyn. Dean lets out a breath as he, Sam and Alexis walk further into the building. 

A bar was on one side of them. On the other side of the room sat a lobby filled with white furniture and rug. The check-in desk sat across from there. 

"Nice digs for once." Dean comments.

"It's almost suspicious." Alexis jokes. 

The three walk up to the front desk. The man behind the counter was frantically typing on the computer, not paying them any attention. 

"Busy night." Dean states, leaning against the counter. 

"Any port in a storm, I guess." The man replies, sliding a paper toward them. "If you could just fill this out, please." 

"Yeah." Dean handed it and a pen to Alexis. 

"What do I look like to you, the paperwork woman?" She asks. 

She leans over, squinting to fill out the form. Dean leaned over her shoulder, his hands on either side of her. 

"Sir, I think you a little shaving nick there." He gestures to his own jaw before holding out a tissue.

Alexis looked up to see a speck of blood on Deans jaw right before he wiped it away. Dean pulled the tissue back to see blood staining it red. 

"Your key." The man held out the room key.

"Oh, thanks." Dean took the key as he held the tissue to the cut on his neck. "Hey, you happen to have a coffee shop, would you?" 

"Buffet, all you can eat. Best pie in the tristate area." 

"You don't say." 

~~~

Dean sat down at the table beside Alexis and across from Sam, plate of pie in hand. He places a piece of pie in front of Alexis. 

"Thanks." She sighs, pulling her necklace from Madilyn's grip. 

Dean gave her a smile. "Sam, unpucker, man. Eat something." 

"We should hit the road, Dean." Sam finally looked up from his cell. 

"In this storm? What, it's --it's--"

"It's biblical." Sam cut him off. "Exactly. It's friggin' Noah's ark out there and we're eating pie."

Alexis rolls her eyes. "Chill out, dude. A slice of pie won't kill us." 

"How many hours of sleep did you get this week?" Dean asks. "What, three, four? Bobby's got his feelers out, okay? We've talked to every Hoodoo man and root woman in 12 states."

"Yeah, well, I'm not giving up." 

"Nobody's giving up." Dean pauses. "Especially me." 

"We're just eating, so we can, you know, stay alive." Alexis tells him. 

"We're gonna find a way to beat the devil." Dean continues. "Soon, I can feel it. And we will find Cass, we will find Adam. But you are no good to me burnt out." 

Sam nods. "Yeah. Yeah, okay." 

"Come on. We have actually got the night off for once. Let's try to enjoy it."