Chapter 23: I hate being stuck in the nut house

Sam, interrupted 1

Alexis glances over at her sleeping three-and-a-half-month-old daughter as Dean was telling her about the case he and Sam were getting ready to leave for. Alexis was glad that Madilyn was beginning to sleep through the night. 

"Why don't you come with us, Lex?" Dean asks as she looked back up at him. "Maybe we'll get some alone time, huh?"

Alexis laughs. "Where you're going, I'm sure we'd never get any alone time."

Dean leans down, pressing his lips to hers. He ran a hand through her hair, tugging her closer. 

Alexis pulled away. "Oh, do you have to go?"

~~~

Glenwood Springs Psychiatric Hospital

Ketchum, Oklahoma

Sam, Dean, and Alexis sat across from the psychiatrist. "You were referred to me by a Dr. Babar in Chicago?" 

"That's right." Dean nods, his hand on Alexis's knee. She kept hearing Eden's voice scold her and Alexis couldn't take much more. 

The doctor sets down the folder. "Isn't there a children's book about an elephant named Babar?"

"I don't know. I don't have any elephant books." Dean says, shaking his head slightly. "Look, doctor, I think that the doc was in over his head with this one--" Dean pointed to Sam. "--because my brothers, uh--" Dean whistles, pointing to his head. 

The doctor held up a hand. "Okay, fine, thank you, that's--that's really not necessary. Why don't you tell me how you're feeling, Alex?" He asks Sam. 

Sam sighs. "I'm fine. Heh. I mean--Okay, a little depressed, I guess."

"Alright. Any idea why?"

"Probably because I started the apocalypse." Sam replies. 

"The apocalypse?"

"Yeah. That's right." Sam nods. 

The doctor's eyes flit over to Dean and Alexis, who smile. "And you think you started it?"

"Well, yeah, I mean, I killed this demon, Lilith, and I accidentally freed Lucifer from hell. So now he's topside and we're trying to stop him."

"Who is?"

"Me. Uh, him and her. And, uh, this one angel." Sam pointed to Dean and Alexis. 

"Oh, you mean like a--? Like an angel on your shoulder?"

"No, no, his name's Castiel. He wears a trench coat." 

"See what I mean, doc?" Dean asks. "The kid's been beating himself up about this for months. The apocalypse wasn't his fault." 

"It's not."

"No, not really." Alexis answers. "I mean, technically we all played a role in it." 

"This other demon, Ruby, got him addicted to demon blood." Dean adds. "I mean, near the end, he was practically chugging the stuff. My brother's not evil. He was just...high. So could you fix him up so we can get back to traveling the country and hunting monsters?" 

The doctor grabbed the phone, lifting it to his ear. "Erma...cancel my lunch."

~~~

"Dr. Fuller would like to keep you all under observation for a couple of days." A nurse lead the three hunters down the hall. 

"All? Us too?" Dean asks.