삼십사 - Bittersweet

I kept walking on the street dragging onto my suitcase, uncontrollable of my emotions. I ended up reaching the seaside.  It always calmed me down and made me feel peaceful. I wanted to be near the water, near the waves, near the sky. I sat down on one of the benches, pulling my luggage next to me as I looked up at the horizon. It was beautiful and serene, but also lonely.

I felt a surge of emotions in my chest as I thought of him. I couldn't stop the tears from falling as I remembered his words.

I sobbed uncontrollably, letting out all the pain and sorrow that had been building up inside me.
I didn't care if anyone saw me or heard me.

I just wanted to cry.

I cried until I had no more tears left, until I felt nothing.

I didn't know how long I had been sitting there, crying on the bench, when I heard a weirdly familiar voice calling my name.
"Y/n?"
I looked up and saw a man with a bucket hat standing in front of me.
"S-sorry who are you?"

He quickly took off his bucket hat and brushed his silky black hair out of his face. My eyes widened as soon as he revealed his face.
"Jungkook?" I said weakly, wiping my eyes with my sleeve.
He smiled faintly and sat close next to me on the bench. Jungkook became a close family friend after high school, he was there in Jeju and supported me when my parents passed away. After 3 years, here we are again.
"Y/n, what are you doing here? Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.
He looked at my face and saw the traces of tears and sadness on it.
He frowned and stroked my hair gently.
"Y/n, what happened? Why are you crying?" he asked softly.
I hesitated for a moment, then decided to tell him the truth.

"Jungkook, I'm sorry. I'm a mess right now. I had a fight with Mingyu, and I ran away from him," I said quietly.

"Mingyu? The guy you like? Wait, is he the high school guy?." he asked, his voice full of concern.
I nodded while faintly chuckling trying to hide my grief. "Yes, the high school guy."
He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. He gave me a comforting hug.

"Y/n, what happened? Why did you fight with him?" he asked gently.

"I told him everything that I told you when I left and came to Jeju. But he didn't care to understand me or comfort me. He just screamed at me like he always does nowadays. He hates me and there's nothing I can do and will do about it. I give up." I said to Jungkook as I looked away from him.
I felt his soft hands caress my jaw turning it towards him.

"Y/n, look at me. I am here for you, okay. You have every right to feel hurt and angry, but don't let him make you feel like you're worthless. You're a beautiful and strong person, and you have a lot of people who care about you, like me. Now don't cry, I hate seeing you cry. It hurts me. You know even though its been three years since we've seen each other and I am a bit hurt that you lost touch with me but I promise you, I will always be here. So if you ever feel like escaping, my door is always open to you."

A single tear slid down my face as I smiled warmly at him. These were the words I wished to hear from the person I loved and cared about. Bittersweet.

He then looked at my luggage and raised his eyebrows. "So, you brought your stuff with you? Where's the destination?" He said chuckling as he looked at me goofily.

I nodded shyly. "Can I stay at yours. I don't have anywhere else to go, and I don't want to go back to Mingyu. He's probably looking for me right now, but I don't care. I'm done with him." I said as we started to walk towards his house that was a few minutes away from the seaside.

Jungkook shook his head and hugged me tighter. "Of course I don't mind. You can stay here as long as you want. This is your home too, y/n. You don't have to worry about anything. I'll take care of you."