chapter thirty-three

Juliette

__

"If Tom comes looking around for me, text me okay?" I say to Mia. She looks at me like I'm crazy right now, but she understands why I have to do this. I have no other choice.

She nods her head, "Okay, I promise. But are you absolutely positive that this is the right move to make? I mean what if someone sees you talking with your dad?"

"Nobody is gonna see anything, but Mia, you know that I have to do this. I'll be sure to go somewhere where nobody is around."

"What if he hurts you?"

"He's my dad, Mia, he isn't gonna hurt me." I don't fully believe my words myself. I know how much my dad believes in his business, and how he will take anything down that's in the way of that.

That's why this whole deal even started in the first place, he was afraid Tom would overtake his business.

Mia looks at me like she's not fully convinced.

"Please Juliette, call me or scream if he tries anything and I will kill him myself." She puts on a smile, pulling me into a hug and she squeezes me.

"I'm gonna be fine, mia." I smile at her as we pull away. She nods, and I look at her for one last moment before I turn away from her and start walking.

I spot Lorenzo sitting at the bar alone, ordering a drink. I walk up from behind him and stand next to him, I do not turn to face him.

"Lorenzo."

"Miss Lancaster, what can I do for you today?" He says, I can just hear that smug smirk on his face.

"I need to speak with my father." The words leave my mouth and I take a breath in, I close my eyes and I'm hoping he would say that Lucian left or something. To make up literally any excuse to get me out of talking to him.

"It's about time you've come to your senses sweetheart, I'll let him know." He stands up and begins to walk away from me, but he stops in his tracks suddenly and turns to face me, "North wing terrace, Lucian will be there in a few minutes." He smiles at me and leaves me.

I order a shot as soon as he leaves and drink it within a moment. Here we fucking go.

-

I walk to the north wind terrace which is on the other side of this auction house from where the ball is being held. Walking in these dark long hallways was honestly scary, the only thing I could hear was the echo of my own footsteps in these heels.

I step onto the terrace and just inhale this cold air, it makes me feel so much better just by the air hitting my lungs. That cold crisp air, mixed with the smell of rain.

I don't even know where to begin. What do I say? What do I do? Where do I even start?

I just have to get through this conversation, then wait a few more hours then I can finally tell Tom the truth and I can move on from this entire thing.

There are times when I just wish I had never gotten involved in this whole thing. This deal that destroyed my life. It's taken away my self-respect, and it's taken away the glimpse of that special father-daughter bond I had always dreamed of having, even though I always knew that would never be possible considering my father's line of work.

But then I think if I had never gotten involved, I would have never met the one who understands me completely, the man whom I trust and love with my entire being. I would have never met the best friends that I have now.

I've learned to accept that everything happens for a reason.

-

I've been standing here for what seems like hours when it's really been just a few minutes, dreading to hear that door open and his footsteps.