34

Nayeon removed the blindfold from her eyes. -Tzu, get up.- she said to her friend, who was sleeping with her leg resting on her chest. -I met Jeongyeon and it was her birthday!

-Can you be quiet?- Tzuyu complained.

-One: this is my room, two: it's eleven o'clock, three: it's Jeongyeon's birthday.

-Good for her. Now will you let me sleep?

Nayeon rolled her eyes. -Don't you celebrate with her?

-Is this usually something I do?

-I'm going to get a coffee.

-Good, go.

The girl went downstairs and asked Jihyo to make her a coffee. She sat down with the phone in her hand and read the news. Amazing how everyone talked about that girl's birthday as if she were the president of the United States.

-To you. Today is Miss Jeongyeon's birthday, right?

-Mh.

-Your mother went to convince her to celebrate it with you.

-As every year. But Jeongyeon hates her birthday.

-Why?

-She hates being born, she feels like a burden and she believes that's why they abandoned her.

-But look where she is now. She shouldn't feel like a burden. She is one of the most influential people in the United States.

-Jeongyeon, I want you to get out of bed.- Jieun said opening the curtains. -Luckily I have the keys to your house. Minhyuk is still sleeping too. What did you do last night? I came out and Nayeon and Tzuyu were still in bed.

-Jieun, I don't feel like-

-Now listen to me: this year we will all celebrate together, whether you like it or not.

-I don't like it.

-I don't care. Richard will pick you up at seven tonight.

-Nay!- Tzuyu shouted from upstairs. -Your mother threw a party for Jeongyeon here.

-My mother what!? When was she planning on telling me? When?

-This evening at nine. She just sent me the invitation.- said the Latina going down the stairs. -I think she won't like it.

-I think the same. But why does she always have to interfere in other people's affairs? I don't even know what to give her. I usually don't give her anything because my mother takes care of it. But I can't make this impression in front of so many people.

-I don't know what to give her either and I'm her sister. She already has everything, what can I give her?

-I could give her a car but I already remember what happened last time. Tzu, get dressed, we're going shopping. I also need a dress for tonight.

🫧

-Thank you Sana for this dress.

-Of course, as soon as I received the invitation I was surprised too.- the girl confessed. -Does Jeongyeon know?

-I don't think so.- her cousin answered.

-What should we give her?- asked the other.

-Good question.- Tzuyu said. -Wait... I have an idea for mine.

-I'll go with you.- Sana told her.

-And me? At least give me an idea, Tzu! I hate you.

The girl was left alone in Sana's shop thinking. There had to be something, aside from girls, that Jeongyeon liked. She wasn't one for clothes or jewelry, not even makeup, she was more of a person who liked to drink. Could she ever give her the most expensive alcohol she could find?

🫧

-Congratulations, Jeongyeon!-exclaimed Ms. Nathan.

-Thank you very much.- When she walked away, Jeongyeon looked at the woman next to her. -This wasn't what I had in mind.- Jeongyeon said, glaring at Jieun.

-Have you seen Nayeon and Tzuyu?- the woman asked, changing the subject.

-I have no idea where they are. Your daughter probably won't even come.

-Jeong! Try to have fun! These are people who admire you and have left you gifts.- Minhyuk told her, putting his arm around her shoulders.

-It's people who want to get in my good graces.

-But still they are gifts.

-Sorry for the delay.- Tzuyu said as she entered with Nayeon and Sana.

-Pretty dress. Is the party yours? You can take it.- Jeongyeon commented to Nayeon.

-It's a very normal dress.

-Mermaid red. Typical of those who don't want attention on themselves.

-Is James here?

-No. The servants are not allowed to be here.

-Or of setting foot in Im's house?-Minhyuk whispered to her.

-Jeongyeon, come here!- a guy called her.

The girls went to put their presents on the table. And by girls I mean Tzuyu and Sana, because Nayeon was empty-handed. She was selfish and self-centered, as her mother called her.

-It's my birthday soon.- Minhyuk began.

-Good for you.- Tzuyu said ignoring him completely. -Sana, shall we go dancing?

-Sure why not?

-And so it's just you and me again.-Minhyuk said.

-Shall we go dancing too? As best friends, let's be clear.

-Yes, how many best friends slow dance together?

-Don't make things awkward.

Nayeon put her arms around Minhyuk's neck and the two began to move slowly to the music.

-What did you give Jeong?

-Nothing, I didn't know what to get. You?

-Don't judge me... A cigar.

-Minhyuk...

-Better than your nothing!

They danced around a bit and she noticed Jeongyeon's gaze fixed on them. Nayeon and Jeongyeon stared at each other for a few seconds, then the birthday girl looked back at the people she was talking to.

-I'm afraid it's not "nothing"...- Nayeon whispered.

-Didn't you give her "nothing"?

-Min... You know what I'm talking about.

I have to wake up in 3 hours but I'm here to update :)