SIXTEEN

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐦𝐞 (𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝) 𝐛𝐲 𝐡𝐨𝐳𝐢𝐞𝐫

"When was the last time you actually loved yourself instead of just saying that you did? When you stared in your bedroom mirror for an hour straight, not because you despised the dress you just bought, but because it actually looked really beautiful. Or when you got a burger from your favorite restaurant instead of that same old salad that you never really liked anyway. Or when that person complimented your smile and it made you feel warm, rather than fixate on that gap no one really ever noticed but you. The biggest question people ask themselves is why can't u love myself? And that's what I want to help you with. I'm here for you, Giselle."

I looked down, and she sighed.

"You know, butterflies can't see the color of their wings... but us as humans can see how beautiful they are. Likewise, you might not think you're good enough, but, others can see how amazing you are."

I began to fidget with my hands under the table and nodded. "That— that helps me see it the correct way," I smiled. My therapist, Selena, had been telling me these sorts of things all summer.

"How are your nightmares?" Selena asked me. "Have they increased? Decreased?"

I shook my head "I rarely ever have them anymore." I held out my wrist, where cuts had been made in the past. "I haven't done this at all this summer."

Marry and Remus started to make me see a therapist from these night terrors that I kept having about Tom in the middle of the night. I would wake up in sweat and have been crying and screaming. Two nights, Mary had to spend the night in my room because it was so bad.

"And we want it to stay that way, so I have one more question to ask you before you leave today; do you ever look back and which you could give that one person that you will never see again a hug? Say goodbye?"

"All the time."