Twenty four

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐮𝐬 𝐛𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"Why so miserable, Harry?"

Hermione sighed. "Trelawney predicted that Harry has the grim and is going to die," she said nastily. "Sounds like a Bad of rubbish to me."

"Harry," Ron said in a low voice, "you haven't seen a black dog anywhere, have you?"

I clenched my jaw as Harry thought. "Yeah, I have. I saw one the night I left the Dursleys.'"

Ron let his fork fall with a clatter, and I dropped mine too, closing my eyes.

"It was probably a stray," I said calmly.

Ron looked at me like I had gone mad, and I raised my eyebrows. "What?!"

"Zell, if Harry's got the Grim, then that's bad," he said. "My uncle Billius— you remember him? Saw one and died twenty four hours later!"

"Coincidence," I said, shrugging.

"You don't know what you're talking about!" Said Ron angrily. "Grims scare the living daylight out of most wizards!"

"There you have it then!" I hissed. "They see the Grim, and die of fright. The Grim's not an omen, it's a cause of death! And Harry's still with us because he's not dumb enough to think, right, I'd better luck the bucket then!"

Fred and George burst out laughing and Ron mouthed wordlessly at me, and Hermione propped open her bag, pulling out her Arithmacy book.

"I think Divination seems very woolly," Hermione said, scanning her book. "Lots of guesswork."

"Professor Trelawney said Roy didn't have the eighth aura! There's nothing woolly about the grim in a cup!"

"You didn't seem so confident when you telling Harry it was a sheep."

I snorted into my juice and Ron looked at both me and Hermione hotly.

"Hermione, you just don't like not being good at something for a change! And Zell, don't get so sensitive because you think you're the center of attention all the time! Your father isn't innocent, and everyone knows it, even if they deny it to protect your feelings!"

He had touched a nerve for both me and Hermione. Hermione slammed her book down and fumed.

"If being good at Divination means I have to see death omens in a limo of tea leaves, I'm not sure I'll be studying it much longer! That lessons was absolute rubbish compared to my Arithmacy class!"

She snatched up her bag and strolled away.

Feeling Ron's eyes Pierce into me, I looked down and scoffed.

"Zell—"

"No, no! You're right! I always want to me the center of attention," I said sarcastically "I think the world revolves around me! And no, my dad isn't innocent, but he's still my dad!"

I grabbed my things and walked off.

"Wait, Zell, he didn't mean it like that!" Fred yelled.

"Oh, now you've gone and messed everything up!" George scoffed.

The bell rang and I scoffed.

George caught up to me, and I put a light smile on my face.

"Hi," I said.

"So," George said. "Ron's a prick. You wanting to be the center of attention isn't a bad thing. It just means you're the spark in everyone's life."

I smiled as we walked to Defense Against the Dark Arts. "Thanks George. You know, as a kid, I used to always look to to my dad. I thought it was so cool that he could turn into an animagi. I've always wanted to do that."

George smiled mischievously, making me giggle. "What is it, Weasley?"

"Well... we could work on being animagi in secret. I could help you."

I looked at him with wide eyes and my mouth dropped open. "Really? George, you're the best!"

I threw my arms around him and smiled as he chuckled. "I know I am, Black."