Thirty three

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟑𝟎𝐭𝐡 𝐛𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐞𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡

"I just want to talk."

"Oh, okay. What about?"

I picked at my fingers nails as my therapist, Selena, looked at me in my hospital bed. She sighed.

"What happened between you and Wyatt, Giselle?"

I looked down and my lip trembled as my fingers picked rapidly at the loose hangnail on my thumb. "We- we broke up."

"No, what happened with you and Wyatt, Giselle?"

I looked to the side and rubbed my face. "He tried to... touch me without my permission."

As I said it I sobbed, and heaved another breath. "And I keep seeing him everywhere I go."

"What do you mean everywhere?" Selena asked gently.

"In my new boyfriend, I see him. Every time he surprises me or yells at me or kisses me I- I feel Wyatt on me. I see him."

"Has Jacob ever done anything to trigger this?"

I shook my head. "No. Except for when he got drunk at yelled at me."

"Underage drinking can be very difficult, Giselle." Selena said sternly.

"Oh my God, this isn't supposed to be a lecture!" I yelled. "This is supposed to be you listening to what I tell you, even if I don't want you here! I saw Wyatt instead of Jacob when I crashed into him. End of story! That's why I'm so freaked out. Can you leave, now?"

There was a few beats of silence as Selena stared at me. "Giselle."

Instead of answering, I looked away, and squeezed my eyes shut.

"It's not your fault."

"What?"

"It's not your fault."

I let a pained sob escape me. "I know. I -I mean, I know I know, but sometimes I don't always really— really know. People get hurt because of me. I shouldn't... I shouldn't be here."

"Hurt?" Selena scooted forward on her chair. "Giselle, I have to tell you, if you admit that you are putting yourself or anyone else in danger I am required to report it."

"I'm fine."

"Are you? 'Cause your grades have really been slipping. Especially in Defense Against the Dark Arts, where you excelled." She looked down at my arms. "And those cuts and bruises on your arms are not from Quidditch."

There was a long moment of silence where she stared at me as I fidgeted and tried to roll my sleeves down.

"I haven't done what you think."

"I'm not sure I follow."

I scoffed. "It's not self harm. It was from Wyatt pinning me down."

"Everything that you've told me... theoretically, seems like it's come from that grief infested anger."

"Like I said, Selena, I'm just— I'm just— it's Wyatt—"

"But to express your emotions safely you have to acknowledge." I ran my hand over my face. "And work on the ang—"

"WHY?!" I yelled, my temples throbbing. "I KNOW I'M ANGRY, SELENA I'M NOT AN IDIOT! LOOK AT ALL THE CRAPPY THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED TO ME! TO MY MUM! TO MY DAD! THEY MAKE ME ANGRY! YOU, TALKING TO ME LIKE IM A MORON, THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!"

"Understandably."

"And it hurts," I sobbed. "I hurt. All the time. And all I want to do is make sure no one else finds out about my hurt so they don't hurt." My voice broke. "And I'm screwed up. So what am I supposed to do? Huh?" I leaned back down and crossed my arms. "'Theoretically?'"

She looked down.

"Everything you've told me sounds like PTSD."

I shook my head, and scoffed. "No it's not."

"Is it? Mental abuse is a very hard thing to go through Giselle. I'm surprised you've managed to be this strong through out the whole path. I can't stress this enough, Giselle. If Jacob is reminding you of Wyatt, if his behaviours are getting too rough, then cut things off with him, at least for a little bit. Talk to him about what's happening. You could get hurt. Please. Talk to him."