Thirty four

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐲 𝐁𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐄𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡

I woke up lazily, spotting George asleep in the chair next to me, his wand in his lap and his hair a mess. I smiled slightly, sitting myself up, and licking my chapped lips. I looked around, the sunrise glittering through the e windows, and the other patients in the castle sleeping.

"Hey."

I sleepily turned my head to George, who smiled and rubbed his eyes. He looked tired; the bags under his eyes were huge.

"How are you?"

"Good," I Said softly. "Do... do you know what Jacob's doing?"

"Talking to his friends, i think," he said, scooting his chair closer to me. "He left a while ago, but I decided to stay. It was late anyway."

My eyes started to water again and George stroked my arm.

"The others would really like to know you're okay," he said, beginning to stroke my hair.

"Okay," I mumbled. "Where are they now?"

"Eating breakfast down in the Great Hall," he said, smiling wryly. "Zell... I'm so glad you're okay..."

I looked at him and my eyes welled up into tears as my face scrunched into pain.

"Hey," he said, coming closer and caressing my cheek. "Hey... it's okay, Zell..."

"I don't want to take pills to be okay," I mumbled, my lip trembling. "I want to be normal again..."

"I know," George said, his voice breaking. "It's okay... you'll be better soon..."

"I was stupid," i said softly. "When I thought I could escape Wyatt."

"I'm sure you weren't—"

"I was!" I shrieked, letting out a pained sob and turning away. "I argued back... I shouldn't of made him so angry... it's my fault for the whole s- stupid thing."

"Giselle," he said, rubbing my back, "you went through something so unimaginably hard. You are the bravest person here."

I looked down, holding George's hand as I closed my eyes.

"You're okay now," George whispered, wrapping his arms around me. "You're okay. Im here. Im not leaving."

—-

"Wyatt?"

I nodded, beginning to feel tears in my eyes. "He nearly raped me. I'm seeing him everywhere. I hear his voice and feel him, but mostly I see him in... you."

There was a moment of silence as Jacob stared at me. "Me?" He scoffed. "Giselle, i already have enough things to deal with. You caused this whole Wyatt thing, so you need to fix it."

It took me a minute to figure out what he had just said to me. I turned to face him, raising my eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"Yeah," he yelled. "I mean, if you're seeing him then clearly there's something wrong with you."

I scoffed. "Oh, so it's all my fault now?" I looked at him with disgust. "You really have to go and ruin everything—"

"No, YOU'RE the one who messes up—"

"You know what? I don't give a shut, Jacob, because you're just like Wyatt! CARELESS, RUTHLESS, AND STUPID! I- I thought I could trust someone again—"

"I'm careless? I'm ruthless?! You—"

"Go to hell," I snarled. "GO TO HELL, WYATT!"

As soon as I released what I had said, I covered my mouth. "I-I—"

"Wow," he scoffed. "Wow, Giselle. You must be really messed up in the head to confuse me with that bastard. We're done. I never want to see you again."

I stared at him in fury and fumed with rage as he stalked away.

"SO YOU GO TO HELL, GISELLE!"

I looked down and sunk to the floor as he said it, and sobbed hard. I just have to go and mess everything up. That's what I do. That's all I do.

—-

I pushed the boys dormitory door open and heard a series of yells.

"Would you knock next time?!"

"Do you know any manners?!"

"What if we were nude?!"

"I'd be very concerned if you were all naked whilst in the same room at the same time, Lee," I smirked.

Lee threw a pillow at me. "Shut up, Black,"

I let out a laugh as she sat on a bed next to George. "What are we doing, boys?"

"Not much, just homework," Fred mumbled. "Could you please help us? Please?"

I sighed. "Yeah, I could get my mind off of stuff."

I grabbed George's homework sheet and sighed. "How have you gotten nothing done? You lot really do procrastinate..."

A few long hours later, their homework was done, and we had all dozed off. I sat up abruptly from a nightmare, spotting George sitting by the window. He was looking at the stars, a peaceful gaze on his face.

"Hey, Georgie," I mumbled, walking over to him and snuggling up next to him.

"Hey, Zell," he yawned. "What are you doing up?"

"Just a, uh, nightmare," my voice cracked as I said it, and George turned to face me.

He could tell something was wrong, and took my hands in his. "What's wrong?"

I looked down and my lip trembled. "He ruined me, George," I whispered quietly. "I'm not okay. I'll never be okay again."

"Hey, hey, look at me," he said, stroking my hair. "We will get through this. That's not true. You will be okay. I promise."

"I'm broken," I mumbled numbly, staring off into space.

He looked down at me, as I was very much broken, crumbling into piece before him. "You may be broken now, Zell, but I will help you put the prices of yourself back together, even if it happened tonight or for the rest of our lives. I am so pained to see you like this. Let us in. Let us help you."

"I can't."

"Why not, Zell?"

I took a shaky breath. "I'll only hurt you. I'm like my father, everyone says it. I'm bound to hurt everyone I love, I know it."

"That is bullshit." he said sternly. "That's not true and you know it. Zell, you love with every inch of your being until it wears you out, you could never hurt us. You are a kind soul. I heard mum talking about how you show just as much compassion as your mum! Zell, I just want you to understand that I'm here. And that you aren't evil, you never will be. You are one of the brightest people I've met, and no matter what, I'm here for you to talk to, I'm here to help you, to make you laugh or whatever. Please, just remember that I'll always be here."

He watched as I closed my eyes for a second as if stopping myself from arguing back. But instead I leant back into his chest.

"I know. I know you'll always be there for me. But for now, can you just stay with me? That's all I want." I mumbled softly.

George's heart rate increased. He tightened his arms around me and continued to play with my hair until he heard my breathing turn into a rhythm. As I laid in his arms, George couldn't help the smile that crept upon his face.

What he didn't realise then was why she had been fainting; what monsters she had hidden under her smile and jokes.