Thirty nine

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐢 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐨 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

"You HAVE to start talking."

George looked at Wood, looked down, and turned to Fred, who shrugged in apology.

Wood turned to me, and Mazzy solemnly leaned against his shoulder.

"Don't look at me," I said, staring bitterly at George. "He's the one that won't talk to me."

"George, mate," Fred said, "she's your best friend."

He shook his head softly and Jacob slowly put a hand on my shoulder as my lip began to tremble.

"I need my Beater and Chaser speaking to each other," Wood said sharply. "I don't know how we'll do if you two—"

"It's not my fault," George interrupted. "I haven't done anything to her but try and make sure she was okay! She's the one who yelled at me for being a so called 'prick!' I- I'm sick of her trying to bottle her emotions up all the time!" George looked into my eyes. "I'm only looking out for you, Zell."

Since Jacob was sitting right next to me, I didn't comment on our previous argument, and rolled my sleeves down. Jacob, who saw, looked at me curiously. "Hey, love, what's wrong?"

He reached for my arm and began to roll up my sleeve, which I jumped out of harshly. He looked at me with concern and I caught George looking at me, and he began to come toward me.

He sat across from me and looked into my eyes. Despite the fact that he was angry at me, he still cared about me and wanted to know if what he feared was beneath my sweater.

"Can I Look?"

I closed my eyes and clenched my jaw, looking away.

Not giving him an answer, he slowly began to roll up my sleeve and when he got to the mark, the whole team gasped and Jacob looked at me in horror.

I looked back to George, who had his eyes fixated on the marks. My lip trembled furiously and I looked at him sadly.

"Maybe you were right," I mumbled, sniffling. "Maybe I'm just too fragile. You know w-what these are from. I did it after our argument."

I began to let tears slip out and George wrapped me in a hug, stroking my hair. I didn't care what Jacob was thinking right now. I just wanted to be held. I wanted this nightmare to end.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, snuggling my face into the crook of his neck.

"Don't be sorry, Zell, not for this," he mumbled. "It was completely my fault. I shouldn't of pushed so fiercely. I just... I care about you. I want you to be okay."

I nodded against him and held onto him tightly, feeling his warm embrace make my stomach flutter and happiness flood my mind and body.

I heard a pair of feet walking away towards the changing rooms, and slipped away from George to see Jacob storming off.

I closed my eyes and sighed. "I- I'll go talk to him. It's fine. Keep talking strategy, guys. I'll be back in a second."

I stood up and walked out to Jacob, who was rubbing his hands over his face.

I sat down next to him and took a shaky breath. "That wasn't what you think—"

"I know exactly what it was," Jacob scoffed. "You love him, not me, no! I'm just your replacement. No matter how hard I try or how many times I saw 'I love you' it will never change. You want him, not me. I'm just the guy you could get."

I looked at him with my mouth agape, and looked down at his words.

What he was saying was true. I knew that George was too good for me. I knew that I didn't have a chance with George. George Weasley didn't want me.

But Jacob did.

So if Jacob was the person I could get, I would go for him.

And I did.

But if George was the person I could get, I probably would've left Jacob.

I was ruthless. I was hurting people. I looked down and let out another shaky breath. "I'm your second choice too."

He looked at me in disbelief. "Okay, so just like five long weeks ago we had this conversation about trying another second chance, and your trying to pin all your emotions on me?"

I shook my head and my lip trembled. "I am your second choice."

"Then enlighten me, Giselle, who's my first?!"

"Polly Tooker."

The only sound that filled the room was Jacob's heavy breathing, and he hesitated before speaking.

"That— that's not true, Giselle. See? You always try and make it my fault! Well guess what? You're not innocent! Okay, no—"

"You wish you had her," I mumbled, sitting next to him. "I know you do. But Wyatt stole everything away from us," I looked up at him sadly. "Wyatt is the devil in our lives. He stole Polly away from you and took everything away from me. So in reality, we're both second choices. We're just hanging together to survive. To feed off of each other. It's not healthy. It's wrong to think that we're perfect together, Jacob, because we're not. We're toxic for each other. I wish I could tell you something different, because this little fling that we had was fun, but I don't think we should be together anymore."

He looked at me, letting my words sink in, and finally, slowly and harshly, nodded. "I- I should get to class."

He got up and walked away without another word, and my face scrunched up as tears began to drip down my cheeks. "I'm sorry," I whispered, but not loud enough so he would hear it.

Maybe I was just too broken to love someone, too messed up.

Maybe I didn't deserve love.