Twenty eight

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐚𝐲𝐥𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐟𝐭

"Rosewood! Black! Up, now!"

Me and Jacob sat up groggily at the demanding voice to see Oliver Wood standing in front of us.

"Zell, unless I'm going mad, I believe Oliver Wood is standing in front of us waving your broom threateningly."

"No, I see the same thing," I replied, groaning.

Everyone was still asleep in the Great Hall, making me fall back into my sleeping bag.

"Black! Get up, and into your gear. We're going to be late."

I looked at the clock. "It's only— four in the morning, Oliver? Really? Practice starts at ten!"

"We have to practice! This is my last year, and I'm going to make it count. The rest of the team is already waiting. Rosewood, stop distracting my players. They need rest before matches."

"Oh, is that why you woke me up at four?" I mumbled, stalking out of the Great Hall before he could reply.

Turns out that the Fat Lady was replaced with a rather annoying knight portrait named Sir Cardigan. He was a right fit, and changed the password nearly every day. Harry and I started being watched more closely too, which became annoying because now I had Percy breathing down my neck and my uncle reminding me not to go near my own dad. Too late— thank Merlin he doesn't have access to Veritaserum.

A week before our first Quidditch match, McGonagall called Harry and I into her office.

"There's no point in hiding it from you any longer," she said in a serious tone. "This might come as a shock to you, especially you, Giselle, but Sirius Black—"

"—Is after us," Harry said wearily. "Yeah, we know."

"I see," said McGonagall, pursing her lips. "We'll in that case, I think you can both understand that uh I don't think it's a good idea for you to be practicing Quidditch in the evenings out on the field with your team members, it's very exposed—"

"Professor!" I cried. "We need to train!"

"We've got our first match on Saturday!" Harry said. "We've been preparing for months!"

Professor McGonagall sighed, stood up, and stared out the window.

"Well... goodness knows I'd like to see us win the cup at last. But all the same, Potter, Black, I would like it if a teacher was present. I'll ask Madam Hooch to oversee your training sessions."

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, beginning to walk out the door with Harry, but then she stopped me.

"Black?"

"Yes, Professor?"

"I got information that your therapist is coming after the first Quidditch match. If you want to see her, just go down to the Hospital Wing."

I nodded, and exited the room.

For the rest of the week, we trained under Madam Hooch's watch, and the final practice before the match, Wood gave us some unpleasant news.

"We're not playing Slytherin," he said. "Flint's just been to see me. We're playing Hufflepuff instead."

"Why?" We all asked furiously.

"Flint's excuse is that their Seekers arm is still broken," Wood said, gritting his teeth.

"They have no chance," I hissed. "They literally can't beat us."

"Hufflepuff's got a new captain and Seeker," Wood said. "Cedric Diggory."

Angelina let out a giggle, and Katie joined in.

"What?" Wood asked.

"He's the tall, good looking one, isn't he?" Katie asked.

"Strong and silent," Angelina agreed.

"Oh gross!" I said, waving my hands in the air "Merlin... you lot are disgusting."

I caught George looking at me, smiling slightly, and I pretended not to notice.

"I don't know why you're worried Oliver," Fred said. "Hufflepuff's a pushover. Last time we played them, Harry caught the Snitch five minutes into the game."

"Last time they didn't have Diggory as a Seeker," I reminded home "And it was nice and sunny. Diggory's an excellent Seeker, so we can't put our guard down."

"Exactly," Wood agreed. "We can't relax. Slytherin is trying to one foot is. We must win."

"Oliver calm down!" Fred said. "We're taking Hufflepuff seriously. Seriously."