Fifty nine

𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫: 𝐢𝐦 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐲 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐞

As soon as I saw Cedric the next day I pulled him aside and told him about Sirius. Then we moved on to a different topic.

"Dragons," I hissed, making his eyebrows raise.

"What?" He asked.

"The first task is dragons!" I said, tightening my grip on my book bag.

"Ah," he said, giving me a curious look. "And you know... how?"

"Not important," I said, not wanting to give Hagrid a reason to be fired. "But it's dragons. I swear on Merlin's grave."

"We're screwed," Cedric said pleasantly. "We don't have to slay them, do we?"

"I mean I don't think so," I said, pushing my hair over my head. "I think we have to get past it. Who knows why."

"Well then," He said, "thank you."

Then he cocked his head. "We ARE opponents on the battlefield, you know that, right?" He asked. "Just because we're friends in real life—"

"Don't be stupid," I said, smacking hi shoulder. "We are enemies. I would have told you even if we were friends. Madam Maxime and Katkaroff both saw them— you'd best believe Fluer and Viktor will know by now."

"Slimy git, that Karkaroff," Cedric huffed. "What you told me about the conversation with Sirius makes sense. I- I don't know if you should trust Viktor."

"I will trust him," I said. "Because I know who I can trust and cannot trust. He doesn't have any intention to hurt me."

"Well just to make sure. I don't want you to die."

"I want to die sometimes," I said with a shrug. "Those days when I fail a test."

"Do we need to put you on suicide watch?" Cedric asked.

"No! I'm just being silly. I don't care about school THAT much." But my heart sunk at the topic of the conversation.

"Oh. Well, no wonder I don't know how that feels," Cedric said with a grin. "So when was the last time you really wanted to die?"

"When I got an A on my Charms Test," I said miserably.

"Ah," Cedric said, smirking. "I got an A on that OWL and for that one I REALLY wanted to die."

I burst out laughing.

He smiled and opened the door to the library.

"How's George?" Cedric asked.

"Oh!" I shrieked. "I didn't even TELL you— bloody hell— after my Dad's conversation last night he came and apologized to me!"

"Did he really?" Cedric asked as he took a seat and got his books out. "Interesting."

I felt my cheeks turn red.

"He said it was his biggest mistake," I said. "He said I deserved better, and let me slip between his grasp."

"Sounds like he's actually trying to be your friend again," Cedric said. Then he frowned. "Be real with me, Zell. If he asked you to be friends again would you say yes?"

"Of course," I said. "I miss his friendship."

Cedric smiled. "I bet. But take your time. Be firm."

"Don't worry. I will be."

——-

The day of the task I woke up and found that Isa and Katie had set up a banner that read 'Good luck Zell!' on the wall. I smiled as I climbed out of bed and got dressed.