[51] One of the Four Heavenly Kings

Chapter 51: One of the Four Heavenly Kings

"Bishamonten, how long has it been?"

The devil, Sapphire, claiming to be a Satan Class, said with a competitive grin. She had red hair that blazed like blood which flowed like a river behind her, ruffling by the wind.

"Looks like the devils aren't the only ones who had a backup. You wanna have a go? Been a while since I washed the floor with that snotty face of yours."

An intense aura of willpower filled the air, coming from Sapphire and clashing with her target, Bishamon's own killing intent.

Electricity blitzed across the sky, and the air grew so thick that it almost suffocated the Goddess Sakuya in the distance, causing clouds to split in the night sky.

Only I remained unfazed, other than the Phoenix, Sapphire, and Bishamon.

My Mirage hand tightened its grip around the massive sword as the [Sword Icon] tried to manifest itself. In the past, I have cut dimensions with ease using it. But I had to stop it from manifesting, my body can't bear the weight of two Icons as an Underlord. To begin with, just like the ability to insert will upon the world, that only Sages and beyond have, the Icons were the same.

The ranking system of my cultivation after [Gold] was as follows.

[Underlord]

[Overlord]

[Archlord]

[Sage/Herald]

And lastly, «⟨Monarch⟩»

At the peak of Archlord, one can either choose to be a Sage or a Herald. Later, no matter what one had chosen prior, they have to choose the other one too. They were like a set power, and only by becoming both a Herald and a Sage could a person reach the legendary rank of a Monarch.

Icons were overpowered at Monarch rank, while only cultivators at the very peak of Archlord could connect to an Icon, anyway. It's an extremely tedious process, and by connecting to an Icon can a cultivator attain the rank of Sage. Sages are Demi-Gods, and so are Heralds; in easy terms, a Sage worked like a Mage-Class and a Herald was a Barbarian-Class.

For me, who already had many Icons, I was something of a Sage already, I was half a Demi-God already. However, I won't be a proper one until I reach Archlord. Until then, while I could indeed switch from one Icon to another, it's too much to layer one Icon over the other. So I can't take a useless risk before that.

Hmmm...

Do I use the «Heavenly Demon God Art»?

I don't really want to, since it goes against the ways of the Emperor, to use a demon art from my 9th life, but...

Before I could decide, Bishamon let out a sigh, letting go of her killing intent. "Disgusting as always," she said, her whip striking the air as the space cracked. "And as arrogant as ever."

Sapphire smirked and shrugged, while the War Goddess continued. "But no, I'm not here to fight. Get out of here with Ranefer, I have been ordered to not use violence. Instead, Shinto will hold a meeting with the Satans soon."

"Oh? I see." Sapphire let go of her killing intent too.

"Why are you letting them go?" I turned to Bishamon, disappointed at the weak guts of the real-life boldness of a character I liked. "If it's you and me, we can defeat them."

What in the anticlimactic bullshit was this?

The Goddess of War clenched her jaws and turned to look at me with her silted purple eyes. "I can take care of her on my own, thank you very much, I wouldn't need your help. I do appreciate you saving Sakuya, and you'll be well compensated for it, but now that I'm here, I'm the one in charge. So be silent and follow my orders."