40. War

Erebus chose to recover for a few more days until his body felt fit. Only then did he have the courage to ask how much time had passed, and he sighed when he heard the answer. It had nearly been a year. He almost broke his promise when he departed from Leo and the others.

"Do you know what is happening in the world?" Erebus asked.

"War," Fenrir answered expressionlessly.

Undanfold had been a plague for the other realms, so Shadowbane had set up a test for their sect members. To prove themselves and serve humanity, they had to spend at least ten years in Undanfold and fight against the Devils.

Most times were peaceful, with a few skirmishes. However, there were other times when the hostility was high. Usually, there would only be one general, but when the incident at the facility happened, the other four generals joined Halcyon, and now they are preparing for the worst.

Leo, Comet, Nash, Heath, and Claire were serving their ten years and had proved their abilities early on, quickly being promoted to the captain rank. Once the war was announced, they fearlessly joined alongside their generals.

A large army dressed in back stood in an open plain in the north, not too far from where Erebus had saved Nash and Comet. Many had sustained wounds and were resting with weary looks. Silence filled the army's campsite, building the tension until the next battle.

The Devils have been cunning, constantly circling their smaller army and attacking on all sides. It had been a brutal war because all other allies ignored Shadowbane's calls. So they fought alone and desperately.

If they knew how to ask the Spirit Realm for help, they would have. However, after months of disappointment and dejection from the other realms, they doubted the Spirit Realm would heed their cry for help. They felt utterly alone in their plight.

In a large tent, Halcyon stood with five other generals and a dozen captains. Their eyes bore into a map with several chess pieces indicating the army's movement. They have finally become trapped.

"Our right flank has weakened greatly," Halcyon said quietly.

Another general, Dalir, and Comet looked ashamed. "We have disappointed you." General Dalir said quietly.

Halcyon shook his head. "No. Everyone has worked hard. You were just unlucky. But this creates a weakness, and we will crumble if they attack the right flank again. There is no other way."

Three days ago, a messenger proposed a duel between nearly fifty Devil generals and the five Shadowbane generals whose power was significantly suppressed in Undandfold. They could not even reach half their normal cultivation rank in this realm. Unfortunately, at this point, it seemed like accepting this duel was the only hope to save the army.

Leo gritted his teeth. "General Halcyon. I still think it's too premature for that. Why should you five sacrifice yourselves?"

"You think we will lose, little prince?" Halcyon said with a raised eyebrow.

"I am saying you are putting yourself in an unfavorable position. On top of being suppressed in this realm, the five of you have already fought fiercely every day. The Devil generals outnumber you ten to one and are in better condition. " Leo retorted.

Halcyon patted him on the back. "It's not a favorable position, but we are backed in a corner."

"But General, how can we trust a Devil to keep his word? Their armies will still attack us while you fight."

"I know. You must lead the army while we distract the more powerful foes. You cannot waste this opportunity." Halcyon explained.

Leo punched the desk out of frustration but no longer fought him. "Then we will wipe out the army and join you. Stay alive until then."