84. A King's Declaration (2)

Cheers from outside the tent broke Leo from his thoughts, and he turned to the entrance. He could catch snippets of the story the Bane Organization man was telling. Leo huffed a laugh when he heard something about Erebus stealing Arlo's eye.

"You have to fight everything in front of you and make me worry," Leo whispered to the sleeping Erebus. He closed his eyes, hiding his weariness. "One day, we will not be faced with wars or enemies, and our grievances will be resolved... I wonder what you'll do then."

"Rest," Erebus' hoarse voice murmured. Leo jumped, and his gaze jumped to Erebus. "I would like to rest when it's all done. With you if you're willing."

Leo was speechless, his eyes unwavering from Erebus' pale frame. Although he had just woken, his silver eyes were sharp.

With Leo's silence, Erebus seemed unsure and searched for an indication of vexation. "You're upset with me," he said resignedly. "I'm sorry for being careless. Deities. I feel like I will be apologizing to you for the rest of our lives."

Leo smiled gently, his tears barely held at bay. He leaned in and gently kissed Erebus. "Yes. I believe you will."

A half chuckle escaped Erebus' lips. "I should have expected assassins."

"You think I'm upset about you being ambushed?" Leo asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Cursed hells." Erebus averted his eyes. "You heard about Swiftmoore."

"I heard about Swiftmoore," Leo repeated. 

Another cheer from the soldiers outside the tent made them pause. Leo sighed. "They are listening about your fight against Arlo."

Erebus winced. "About that—"

"Arlo fucking Themis. Lord of Golden Mountain, who is in the Emperor Realm." Leo rubbed his tired eyes. "Why? Did you really think my father would agree to an engagement with them?"

"No," Erebus murmured. "But I couldn't stand to hear them try... they have taken so much from me. I would never allow them to think about taking you."

Leo's shoulders slumped, and he took Erebus' hands, placing light kisses on his bruised knuckles. "No one can take me from you, Erebus. Not even the Aether."

Erebus gingerly sat up, wincing from the residual ache from his wounds. Leo wanted to protest, but Erebus' earnest look made him pause. 

"I know, Leo. And I know provoking Arlo wasn't the safest route I could have gone down—or the sanest—but it was the surest. Because of the talks about joining hands with them on top of the ludicrous engagement, I had to do something to bury that thought forever." Erebus sighed. "And I was livid. I had to hurt someone."

Leo bit back a laugh. "I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. But I won't deny that you terrified me when I found you."

Erebus winced. "Because of my condition or the Devils'?"  He knew he and the Phonoi Heart left a trail of carnage. 

"Of course, yours. Are you implying I would be frightened of you?" Leo's shock was evident. The state of the Devils was terrible and barbaric, but it wasn't something that would push Leo away.

Erebus breathed out a sigh of relief. "Leo... The Phonoi Heart took over in that fight."

"What?" Leo shook. "Like manifested again?"

 Erebus shook his head. "No... he pushed my consciousness aside and took control. I was struggling, but he took over and fought on my behalf."

"How did you regain control?"