89. Aboros

Erebus watched the mutated man with a deep ache inside his heart. He could empathize with the desire to die and the maddening pain of it eluding you. How often did his soul cry out for longing to be set free?

He flinched when he felt a trembling hand on his arm. He turned to see a pale Leo.

"I thought the Offerings were the extent of their sins... but this..."

Erebus sighed heavily. "I know."

A shuddering breath pulled their attention away, and they saw Astra trembling with tears in her eyes.

"They are all echoing the same thing," she said weakly. "Kill me." 

Leo pulled her close and placed his hands carefully over her ears. "I know. And we will help them join the Aether."

Erebus closed his eyes, knowing how painful it must have been for a Stargazer to be here. He turned back to the man behind the glass. "Watch how we take revenge from the Aether, brother."

He manipulated his shadow mana into a thin stiletto. He drilled it through the glass, guiding it to pierce into the man's forehead. The man gasped, and his eyes widened, but the shock quickly faded into a smile as the life left his eyes.

Leo brushed a kiss against Erebus' shoulder and moved to a cylinder next to him. His dark eyes flickered with emotion as he gazed at the female Dark Elf, who was mixed with a feline creature. Her ears had grown long and had fur covering the tips. A long tail warped around her lean body, and grey fur covered most of her body.

"You have fought long and hard. Join your comrades in the Aether and watch over us," he said gently.

Like Erebus, he placed his hand on the glass and pierced the elf's head with his shadow mana, bringing the elf peace. Erebus wanted to stop him but restrained himself. He stood next to Leo with clenched fists, watching him stain his hands once more.

Leo stepped back and practically fell into Erebus' arms. 

"I am their prince... I should have been protecting them, not killing them." Leo said with a broken voice.

"You did protect them. Their fate was worse than death, and you gave them the chance to die the way that they wanted." Erebus said gently; however, he was also trying to reassure himself.

"I hate these bastards," Leo said between clenched teeth

"As do I," Erebus murmured. "I should have killed them all when we eliminated Aboros."

To his surprise, the Shadowbane soldiers and High Serpent members all stood in front of a cylinder. They were all whispering words of encouragement and were sending off the broken souls.

Erebus knew that sometimes mercy would stain the soul. This day will be forever remembered by every person here. They will feel the weight of the innocent they had to kill—a stone to carry on their path of cultivation. He wished he could spare them, but at the same time, he knew that they would be changed. These mutated men and women showed them the fragility of humanity and the extent of cruelty. 

Their hearts will cry out for the need to change—their unified objective.

Erebus took a steadying breath. "I don't know about you, but I am ready to show them my wrath."

Erebus felt the killing intent from everyone around him, simmering to the point of boiling. They did not need to answer him, but they, too, wished to tear the Devils to pieces. He especially wanted to find Lychgate and finish his fight with him. His mind pounded with rage, remembering the sickening laugh from Lychgate.

Erebus let his killing intent wash over them, freezing the liquid that held the creatures they just killed.

"Good. It's time to let them know that we're here. Shadowbane, let's do what we do best." Erebus said with a malevolent look on his face.