51. Tournament Ceremony

The events that happened in the pub spread like wildfire throughout Swiftmoore. Golden Mountain was acting arrogantly and was kicked out of a pub by a few words from the infamous Shadowbane Lieutenant General.

So naturally, when all the sects gathered for the Tournament Ceremony the following day, there was a thick tension in the air.

The four sects gathered their participants in a large open field facing a stone stage. Standing on opposite sides, Golden Mountain glowered at Shadowbane. However, Shadowbane seemed undisturbed by the dark looks and only smirked in response. They knew they held the upper hand ultimately, so why bother with Golden Mountain? Caught between the hostility, Silvercloud and High Serpent looked between these two with unease. It was an awkward atmosphere for anyone not involved in their dispute.

Erebus and Leo were the last to arrive, walking side by side. Golden Mountain saw Erebus step in stride with royalty and sneered at his audacity; however, their criticisms caught in their throats when Leo pulled Erebus to stand beside him in front of their Shadowbane. 

Erebus didn't bother to look towards Golden Mountain. Instead, his eyes fell on the general from High Serpent, Allan. Although he did not approve of him yet, Erebus recognized that he was the only one who didn't say anything disrespectful at the banquet. Allan noticed his gaze immediately and locked eyes with him. He smiled and nodded toward Erebus, who silently greeted him in return. Erebus examined the High Serpent group and was pleasantly surprised to see good seedlings. Their demeanor made him hopeful that they would take Undanfold seriously.

His eyes flicked over to Silvercloud, making the women in the group giggle behind their sleeves. Erebus shifted uncomfortably because he dressed differently than usual. He was still in black, with tight fighting trousers, but also donned a long-sleeved shirt that seemed to be molded to his chest, accentuating his deeply cut muscles. Leather straps wrapped around his waist held his daggers, a small metal plate, and his Shadowbane medallion. His hair was tied back carelessly, with several strands falling into his face, which drew many women to look at his rare silver eyes.

Erebus felt the looks on him and frowned. "Why did you make me wear this cursed outfit?" He asked Leo in a quiet voice.

"What's wrong with it? I'm wearing the same thing," Leo said but hid his smirk behind his hand.

"It draws too much attention," Erebus huffed.

Leo raised an eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure you are drawing all the attention."

"Because I threatened a few people?"

Leo shrugged. "Partly because of that. Most people here are probably terrified of you or want to fuck you. Hells. I'm sure there are a few people who feel both."

Erebus felt his face flush and rounded on Leo. "What the fuck?"

Leo's laugh rang across the open field. "Oh, Deities. Your face was perfect."

Erebus groaned and rubbed his face. "Asshole."

Leo tried to stifle his laugh. His eyes were bright with delight as he nudged him playfully. "Just so you know, I'm not scared of you."

Erebus froze as he processed Leo's words. Heat rushed up Erebus' neck, making him want to disappear into the shadows. "Leo," he pleaded with an exasperated voice. 

Leo's melodic laugh tapered off, but his grin remained. "Alright. I'm done teasing you."

Erebus shook his head, but a small smile had already formed.  

Erebus' attention shifted as Olivia Long of Silvercloud climbed the stage in front of the sects. She faced the crowd with a cheerful smile, but Erebus felt the bloodthirst hiding behind it.