88. Kurat Hall (2)

Over the week, Shadowbane engraved countless runes in the canyon that led up to the entrance of Kurat Hall. They only moved at night when it was darkest to blend in and move stealthily. It was a slow process, but they knew perfecting their plan, and runes was a priority. The better the runes, the better their chances were.

The night before the infiltration, they drank merrily around their campfires. High Serpent used to think this was an odd routine, but they fell into the flow quickly and were already considered good comrades of the Shadowbane soldiers. 

However, Erebus did not drink but talked quietly with Fenrir and Leo. The camp had left them alone, so they didn't need to worry about anyone listening in. 

"Before, we knew Aboro's cultivation level, so we could anticipate what kind of fight it would be. We were all at the Divine Realm then, so we should have been on equal ground, but we still needed to team up against him." Fenrir explained.

Erebus groaned. "He was a brilliant fighter, so it was a frustratingly long battle. But now, we know nothing about Aboros. We know less about Lychgate, who pulls the strings behind the curtain."

"We'll cut them down nonetheless," Leo said encouragingly.

Erebus laughed. "And we will survive."

Fenrir looked surprised. "That's a new stance? No thoughts about joining the Aether?"

"I have too much shit to do in this life. I'm unwilling to leave it yet, so the Aether will have to wait."

Fenrir snorted with amusement. He had been with Erebus for a long, and he always seemed to embrace death. But now, he had finally turned his back on the prospect and was looking at the future. His dear friend was evolving and obtaining some semblance of optimism.

Erebus pulled Leo into his arms and sighed contently. "Fenrir, how about you entertain this blind old man?"

Fenrir knew precisely what he was requesting because they would have this routine before every battle in the Warring Era.

Fenrir sighed. "The sky is fucking bleak here, I have nothing to describe."

"Use your imagination." Erebus pouted.

Fenrir chuckled deeply and described the night sky in his territory in the Spirit Realm. His gravelly voice calmed both Erebus and Leo.

The following day, the camp woke up before the sky lightened up and immediately headed out to complete their specific tasks. Fenrir led Leo and most of the soldiers to the hidden entrance but stayed in the shadows at the very edge of the Devil's perception.

However, Erebus took Nash, Comet, and a few of his best rune masters toward the massive runes they had been laying out all week. 

They stood at the edge of the runes and used their mana to activate them. The canyon lit up in a low blue light, and the runes interconnected. The air rippled with power, and a mist covered the area. The ground began to rumble, and roaring voices reverberated through the canyon.

Erebus and the others quickly climbed up the cliff walls and watched their massive illusion array take form. When the Devils approached, they would see a vast army coming toward them within the mist. Once they entered the haze, they would be trapped in a labyrinth.

Comet transformed into his panther form, and a runemaster climbed on his back. "Be careful." He growled towards Erebus and Nash before he took off towards the others.

Erebus and Nash made their way towards the entrance of Kurat Hall. They moved through the shadows and hid in a crevasse in the cliffside walls. Nash cursed when he saw the complex runes that guarded the entrance. The large columns' runes flickered and sparked as if it sensed something ominous was coming.