Chapter 1 - prologue

Slender awoke to soft tapping on his window, he groaned and woke up a bit looking over to see a raven with gold eyes tapping on the glass with its beak "nylia, what are you doing here?" Slender mumbled walking over and opening the window for the raven, it cawed and hopped in lifting its leg a bit and hopping around cawing, Slender took the small note off its leg and read it before he quickly got up and dressed in a loose white shirt and trousers and hurried to the door with the raven following, Slender opened the front door to see a portal already open and waiting, he quickly walked through with the raven behind him and looked around to see he was standing in a courtyard of a large medieval looking castle with ravens nesting on the roof, Slender looked over as another portal opened and Zalgo stepped out looking tired and like he rushed to get dressed "you get the same message?" Zalgo asked as the ground shook and they heard a scream, they both rushed in and ran to one of the main bedrooms to see death laying on the large bed breathing heavily and was bleeding.

"death" Slender said walking over "your pregnant?" Zalgo said looking over her "boys, I'm glad you could make it" she breathed before she screamed again and grabbed Slender's hand tight nearly breaking it "Zalgo get some towels, death how did this happen?" Slender asked as he tried to make her more comfortable "the gods, they came to me with a proposal aghh" she screamed again as Zalgo walked in with the towels "you need to push ok. what did they want?" Slender asked as she screamed and pushed "they, they wanted a child. one to fully control this realm and guide the souls" she said before she screamed and pushed again "your doing good, but why did they want this child?" Zalgo asked "they are dying, this child is to be their dying breath, the last of the gods to walk among men, it is both living and dead and is soul heir to the secrets of the gods" death said before she screamed again "I can see the head keep going" Zalgo said "its going to kill you, death this child could end or reshape the entirety of reality and the realms" Slender said as death screamed again and they heard a cry, Zalgo cut the umbilical cord and wrapped the baby up in a blanket as death held her arms out "its a boy" Zalgo said handing him to death, she looked over him as he stopped crying and opened his eyes, she smiled seeing his shining golden eyes with the white black like her own and his few whisps of snowy white hair and his ash grey skin "what will you name him?" Slender asked as they made her more comfortable.

"Shadow" she said as she picked up a small jawless skull mask similar to hers and put it on him as he giggled and played with her fingers, death let out a breath and nearly dropped Shadow making him cry as the lights flickered, Slender held Shadow up in deaths arms "as my final request, will one of you take care of him, at least until he is old enough to return to the realm and take over" death breathed as she grew weaker "of course" Slender said looking at Zalgo who bit his lip "raise him right please, the fate of the realms depends on it..." she breathed before her eyes closed and a large gust of wind blew out the candles and deaths body faded leaving nothing but her bracelet and clothes behind, Zalgo picked up the bracelet and sighed softly as two portals opened by each of them "I shall raise him in the human world with me" Slender said as he stood up "I will make the necessary preparations and help when I can, we can sort the other details later" Zalgo said as he looked over the small silver bracelet "of course, although you may want to move from russia. its not the best place to raise him" Zalgo said before he walked through his portal and it closed, Slender sighed and walked through his portal it closing behind him.

Slender walked through the snow and into his cabin "now what do you eat little one" Slender said pulling the blanket down a bit only for Shadow to start crying and waving his arms around, Slender walked to the fridge and pulled out a carton of milk and looked around for a bottle before he heard a knock on the door, he sighed and walked over opening the door to see Zalgo standing there with a few bags "thought you'd need this" Zalgo said walking in and taking a baby bottle and some milk and other things out the bag as Shadow continued to cry and scream "thank you" Slender sighed as he sat down and tried to calm Shadow down whilst Zalgo made a bottle, he walked back over and handed the bottle to Slender who took it and put it in Shadows mouth, he sucked on it a bit before pushing the bottle out his mouth and crying again "he doesn't eat this, what else could he eat?" Zalgo sighed "he is both living and dead" Slender said checking Shadows heart to feel it beating slow but strong at about seven times a minute "could he eat souls? the dead?" Zalgo sighed pacing a bit "blood, he feeds off the blood of the living" Slender said cutting the tip of his finger and putting it in Shadows mouth, he stopped crying and sucked on the blood as Slender sighed softly "he is the first of his kind, we should document all this" Zalgo said as he started to set up the crib and a few toys "I will go bathe him" Slender said as he stood up "sure, I'll figure this fuckin thing out" Zalgo sighed "watch your language" Slender sighed as he walked to the bathroom.

Slender walked out a bit later with Shadow now clean, he looked over to see Zalgo still struggling with the crib as a cigarette hung from his lip, Slender sighed "I will do that, hold him for a bit" Slender said pulling Zalgo away and putting Shadow in his arms, Zalgo sighed and went to light the cigarette but Slender pulled it away and threw it out a window "not around the child" he said as he put the crib together, Zalgo sighed and pulled out a small black onesie from one of the bags and put it on Shadow "there, that's better" he said as Slender looked up "will you be staying tonight?" Slender asked as he moved the crib to his room "yes, I'll go get him some food, I should be back in a couple hours" Zalgo said as he stood up and handed Shadow back "I will put him to bed" Slender said as he walked back to his room and lay Shadow in the bed as he yawned and lay in bed quickly falling asleep.