7] The 73rd Hunger Games

"It's launch day baby! Are we ready to party!"

Bex groaned as Brutus and Enobaria walked into the Mentor's lounge. She was already at the bar with Haymitch, waiting for Johanna, Nash and Finnick to arrive. 

Bex looked back at the bald man, "Brutus it is too early for your bullshit!" 

Brutus just laughed, "I am coming for your crown, honey. Be afraid!" 

Bex raised an eyebrow at Brutus's comment, "Don't be so certain...honey." 

"For what it's worth, I told my tributes to lay off yours during the bloodbath...just so you can enjoy them in the games for a few days before my kids will inevitably slaughter yours" Brutus told her 

Most of the Victors, Bex could warm to, not him. He loved intimidation but Bex had known him long enough to not be intimidated by him, "How kind of you...piss off." 

Brutus just shook his head as he walked back over to Enobaria, "I hope a mutt rips their tributes' faces off" she muttered to Haymitch

Haymitch hummed as he drank from his glass, "I stopped listening to that crap years ago, you should too. Our tributes aren't gonna win, they know it and we know it"

Bex scoffed in response, "I ain't giving up on my tributes like you, old man. I've given up before, I won't this time. They have a shot...she has a shot" Bex told him but she may have just been trying to persuade herself, "They just have to avoid the cornucopia"

"Keep telling yourself that, sweetheart and-" Haymitch stopped himself in the middle of his sentence when he glanced at her and seemed to notice something "oh shit"

"What?"

"You got attached"

"I didn't get attached, Haymitch"

"Yes you fucking did" Haymitch insisted, "Well that was the stupidest thing I've seen you do, and I've seen you trying to fight Brutus."

"Look I-" Bex was ready to defend herself, but she didn't have anything to counter Haymitch, "How do you not get attached? These tributes are so fucking dependent on you. I get attached every damn year. And it's been many years."