- Forty-fourth -

Jimin was happily humming the song on the radio, his fingers tapping the steering wheel in time with the music. Jeongguk, sitting in the back seat, was watching him with a small smile. Now that he was no longer an office worker, Jeongguk had definitely swapped his suit and tie for clothes he really liked. He had Taehyung's support and protection, so he had decided not to deprive himself for fear of other people's gaze.

He looked down at the dress he was wearing, a shiny qipao in dark green, decorated with gold embroidery. He couldn't help but run his hand over the silky fabric, stopping to look at the embroidery representing flowers and birds.

"That dress is magnificent. It really suits you." Jimin said, watching him from the rear-view mirror.

Jeongguk's cheeks flushed slightly; he wasn't used to compliments, and even less so when he was wearing women's clothes.

"Thanks... I'm still having a bit of trouble getting used to it, but I still feel a lot better in it than in a suit..."

Jimin nodded. He didn't know exactly what Jeongguk had been going through, preferring to wait until the young man was comfortable with him before telling him, but he agreed with Taehyung that this type of clothing suited him divinely. Jeongguk had always exuded this mysterious, feline, elegant aura. The outfits he had worn up until then were, in Jimin's eyes, too vulgar, too banal for the singer. He needed something prestigious, and the dresses Taehyung had bought for him were perfect in that respect.

"Oh, by the way!" Jimin suddenly exclaimed, startling the poor singer. "I don't know if you've heard, but it's Taehyung's birthday soon!"

Jeongguk's eyes widened in surprise. What an idiot, he'd never thought to ask! Even though he was sure Taehyung knew his birthday. He felt really stupid, the worst kind of lover. So he was going to make it up to him.

"Really? When? He didn't tell me!"

Jimin smiled.

"I knew it! He's always in a bad mood on his birthday, so he never tells anyone! It's the 30th."

Ouch, Jimin was right, it was coming up soon. The two lovers hadn't been dating that long, so Jeongguk honestly didn't know what would make him happy. Despite appearances, Taehyung was a rather simple person. Perhaps a piece of jewellery? Jeongguk had some economies, he could afford to buy him something expensive... But would it really please the gangster?

"Hm, I'll have to think about it..."

The car finally stopped in front of the cabaret, still closed to spectators. The two men couldn't help glancing at the flickering neon lights, and silently came to the same conclusion: while by night the place was mysterious and bewitching, by day it was above all very frightening. It was a paradox, considering the kindness and gentleness of the owner.

"Thanks for the ride, Jimin. I feel bad that Taehyung assigned you as my driver... I'm sure you've got better things to do..."

Jimin laughed, shaking his hand nonchalantly.

"On the contrary, I'm so happy! Before I met you, I was literally Taehyung's slave, doing all the dirty work. Now it's Hoseok's turn, and I get a holiday! It's the good life!"

Jeongguk chuckled, enjoying the blonde boy's comedy. Really, every day spent with the gangsters made him realise just how far the clichés were from reality. Never judge a book by its cover, Jeongguk had learned his lesson.

"Right, I'm off, I've still got to get ready." the singer finally said as he got out of the car.

"Taehyung should arrive around 8pm with Hoseok." Jimin informed him.

"All right, thank you."

Jeongguk closed the door and watched the car start up again, disappearing at the end of the street.

***

The cabaret was rather quiet. Until then, Jeongguk had rarely come during the day, arriving instead in the early evening, just after work. Everyone was already buzzing, and sometimes even the dancers were already on stage. This time, most of the girls were practising on stage, so the artists' room was almost empty.

Jeongguk sat down at one of the dressing tables, grabbing the make-up he needed to do his beauty routine. He froze for a moment, wondering whether he should continue to do something discreet, like before, or go all the way with his change, and try something more showy. Honestly, he really wanted to try. He'd even talked about it with Taehyung, and the gangster had encouraged him. So maybe he should give it a go?

While he was deep in thought, someone knocked on the door and, hearing no answer, decided to come in. It was only when the door slammed that Jeongguk was startled, turning round in a bit of a panic, only to be reassured when he saw Yoongi, a small sorry smile on his lips.

"Sorry, did I scare you?"

"N-No, it's fine... I was just in my thoughts..."

Yoongi nodded and walked towards him. Jeongguk then noticed the large box his boss was carrying in his hands, and looked at it curiously, which Yoongi didn't fail to notice. The tall man didn't respond immediately, however, continuing his short walk towards Jeongguk and finally placing the box on the dressing table.

"What's that?" Jeongguk asked curiously, his gaze never leaving the mysterious box.

"It's for you. You'll know more when you open it."

Jeongguk gave Yoongi a confused look, before refocusing his attention on the box. Was it for him? That intrigued him even more. Jeongguk was naturally very curious, which meant he loved presents and surprises. There was something exciting about that.

Yoongi encouraged him by putting a hand on his shoulder, and Jeongguk didn't wait any longer before grabbing the lid of the box, lifting it gently. And Jeongguk froze when he saw the contents of the box.

A sumptuous sky-blue satin dress, with cherry blossom painted on the fabric. And the sleeves were trimmed with white fur, falling over the shoulders and clearing the nape of the neck. It was gorgeous. The dress was just gorgeous.

On top of it was a small white envelope, and Jeongguk grabbed it, opening it gently, to take out a small letter.

"I wanted to give you something special for this performance, and nothing more natural came to mind than a sumptuous garment for the purest and most magnificent of doves. I hope you'll wear it for me tonight, because my gaze will never leave you.

K.TH"

Jeongguk was as red as a poppy, a shy smile on his lips. He was smiling like an idiot, his eyes shining with tears, as Yoongi looked at him with a soft gaze. How did Kim Taehyung manage to make his heart flutter so much? It was as if the gangster could read his heart, each of his actions making him fall a little more in love with him.

"Are you planning to wear it tonight?" Yoongi asked.

Jeongguk reread the letter a second time, his smile never leaving his lips, before nodding gently.

"Hm, after all, it's a present from my man."