- Fifty-fourth -

The door to the police station meeting room opened with a bang, drawing the attention of the two policemen. Seokjin entered the room with a quick wave, and dropped heavily onto the nearest chair. Namjoon noticed immediately that he wasn't feeling well, but that wasn't surprising. We were approaching the anniversary of his brother's death. Add to that the incident with Jungkook...

"Is something wrong?" Soobin asked, worried about his colleague.

Seokjin rubbed his face before taking a deep breath and turning to the young policeman.

"It's nothing serious. I tried calling Jungkook several times, but he didn't pick up. I think he's angry with me..."

"He's a bit angry, yes, but it'll pass." Namjoon reassured him. "We just need to give him time to calm down. After all, he's been wrongly accused and he's lost his job because of it. That's hard to accept..."

Seokjin nodded, and to take his mind off things, grabbed the first file he could find, the one Namjoon was reading before he arrived.

"Let's change the subject. Is there any news?" he asked, quickly going over all the information they had collected so far.

Namjoon shook his head and sighed.

"No, nothing at all. We're completely stuck. Especially as he hasn't killed anyone for a while now."

"So you think the killer's finished? That the whole thing is over?" Soobin asked, a glimmer of hope in his voice and eyes.

Seokjin closed the file and pushed it towards Namjoon, his eyes unfocused. He seemed to be deep in thought.

"It's possible." he finally replied. "After all, he killed quite fast. So the fact that he hadn't killed for a while could have several explanations. The first is that he killed all the people on his list, which would confirm the theory that he knew his victims, despite the fact that no concrete link had been found between them."

"So he wouldn't kill at random, despite what we might have thought at first." Namjoon added. "At the same time, given the violence of the murders, it could only be personal."

Seokjin nodded, under Soobin's watchful eye. He had only just joined the police, so he wanted to learn as much as he could from these two veterans.

"The second possibility is that he became careful toward us. He knows that the police are looking for him, so he's become more cautious. But that doesn't seem very plausible to me, because if we'd had anything concrete against him, we'd already have taken action. But we haven't done anything, and he knows it. I think he's very intelligent, and if our hypothesis that he's under the protection of the Mafia proves to be true, it's even possible that he's informed of the slightest progress in the investigation."

"And the third?" interjected Soobin, curious.

"The third is that his next victim is currently out of reach." replied Seokjin. "If all the victims are indeed linked, then we haven't found that link yet. And maybe it lies in the next victim or victims."

The two policemen nodded in agreement.

"So you're leaning towards the third hypothesis, Jin?" Namjoon asked.

"Hm. Although, at this stage, it's really just a hypothesis. I don't have any proof to back it up. It's just a bit of profiling."

At the same time, someone knocked on the door, and after Namjoon had given permission, one of the police officers from the station entered the room.

"Is there a problem?" asked the inspector.

"There's someone at reception who would like to testify about your case." Explained the policeman. "He says he knows who the killer is."