Chapter 5: The Auditions (Edited)

The box was filled with things nether of the beastmen had ever seen, there were odd scales, photos of plants, and various other things. Y/n shuffled through the items with gentle hands, as if everything in it was made of sand and would crush if he was too rough.

"This is a box filled with my most prized possessions, these are rare and not rare things I've collected over the years. Even though some might sell for a wonderful prize I would never sell these." 

He pulled a small photograph from the box, "Here you go" he handed it to Leona, "Careful of the claws please." Leona nodded, "Of course." He examined the picture of fan-like leafs resembling half-moons covering the steams surrounding an old horseshoe.

Ruggie's eyes scanned the items, like y/n said selling some of this stuff had to sell for high prices. He didn't even know what half the stuff was, "What's that?" He asked pointing to a bright orange crystal, "That's a Kyawthuite. It's a very rare mineral I found it in a box someone brought into the thrift store, I think it has similar affects to mage stones but I haven't proved that. It's more so in this box because I want to run tests on it and less because I don't wish to part with it." He picked up the stone and handed it to the hyena.

"If you want it it's yours." He said with a smile, if it were anyone else Ruggie would've taken it without a second thought, but he and y/n were in the same boat, they both needed that money. So with a heavy heart Ruggie shook his head, "Nah you keep it, finish your experiments." Y/n smiled, "Ok when I sell it we'll split it, ok?" Ruggie smiled, "Ok!"

~.~

"Hey guys," y/n walked over to his two upperclassmen holding a poster in his hands, "There's a Song & Dance Championship, and apparently if the team representing your school makes it to the final round. Each member will receive a share of the 50,000 thaumark prize." He read, Ruggie took the poster from his underclassmen's hands. 

"Oh yeah this thing, I was gonna try out again this year, wanna join?" Y/n thought, With so many people sharing... it'd be about 15,000 thaumarks a piece... that's not bad, I could pay mama's year with that... he thought, thinking of his mother, and his father, he still payed the rent for his father ever since he retired, and his mother... well she needed that money.

"I'm not good in front of crowds." He said, rubbing the back of his neck. "Ah that's no big deal!" Ruggie waved him off, "That's sayin' you get on the team." Leona teased, "Hey..." y/n huffed, the other two laughed, continuing to tease their underclassmen.

"Alright alright, but only if you're doing it Rugs." Ruggie gave him a thumbs up. "We'll do great!"

"Don't you two come cryin' to me when ya fail." Leona drawled, his ears twitching when the other two began complaining.

~.~

Late night walks were truly calming to him, and if he didn't leave campus then what was the problem? He waited until after role-call and after everyone went to bed before sneaking out of the mirror to walk around campus. The night air was the most refreshing thing to him. He walked and walked until he saw small blue sparkles in the air. 

"Hm?" He walked to them he saw a horned man with blueish greenish sparkles surrounding him. 

He watched as the man closed his eyes, in that moment the horned man was all y/n saw, y/n thought the other man was the definition of beauty. "I know you're there." The man suddenly said. Y/n jumped, he backed away as quietly as he could. The man looked in his direction, "You, child of man." Y/n slowed came out from where he had been hiding behind some shrubbery. 

"I— I'm so sorry sir. I didn't mean to spy." The horned man waved him off. "It's quite alright." The man ran a hand through his hair, "Isn't it past your curfew?" Y/n looked down, "What dorm are you in?" Y/n bit his lip, "Savanaclaw, sir." The horned man looked him up and down, "That Housewarden of yours will get onto you if he finds out you snuck out."

Y/n placed his hands in front of himself bowing. "Please don't tell him! He'll kill me!" The horned man laughed, "I will not tell anyone. Do not worry." Y/n smiled nervously, "Thank you so much."

The horned man nodded, "My name is y/n l/n, may I ask yours sir?" The man took the hand y/n held out, "Malleus Draconia. Pleasure." Malleus Draconia? Why did that sound so familiar? Y/n remembered something about him in the ceremony.

"Draconia?"

"So it's true he goes here?"

"Creepy..."

The whispers made y/n sink deeper into his robes. He didn't want to know what they would say when they found out he was from Samoća city. He felt for this man, back home people spoke about him in a similar way.

"L/n that loser?"

"Ugh, great he's here."

"L/n isn't that the kid who's magic-marked?"

"Don't get too close to him, his sin will rub off on you."

He knew what it felt like, to be hated, to be outcasted.

"May I ask what dorm you're in?" Malleus smiled, "Your not afraid?" Y/n cocked his head, "Should I be?" Malleus laughed, "Your an odd one Child of Man." Y/n chuckled nervously, "I get that a lot."

They spent a bit of time talking until y/n had to leave. 

"Here's my number." Y/n handed out a small paper he had just ripped from a journal he had in his pocket. "Text or call me whenever, just make sure to say it's you first!" Malleus took it, "I will Child of Man." Y/n left waving.

"Hm, what an odd man indeed..."

~.~

He and Ruggie practiced a bit before the tryouts but neither of them had the time to practice too much.

Ruggie went first leaving y/n alone in the hall to pace back and forth nervously.

"Next!"

Ruggie came out winking and pointing into the ball room, "Your turn."

Y/n took a deep breath entering the large ball room.

He stood in front of a table that two people sat at, the man with purple tips nodded at him. 

He closed his eyes, he tried to act as tho he was alone, like he wasn't being watched by judgmental eyes. He tried to think of his mother and father who he would help with the money. He sang as best as he could, trying to hide the shake in his voice.

"ねじれた リズムで踊ろう

Let's dance to this twisted rhythm

俯き張る 意地も愛嬌さ
Your willful downcast gaze has its own kind of charm
問題(かまわ)ないよ
It's all right
ちょっとワルいくらいがいいじゃない?
Isn't it good to be a little bad?"

He tried to play off his stumbles, he tried to keep everything perfect. He tried he did but after he was done he couldn't even open his eyes, there was silence. This was worse than the boo'ing he expected. Then loud clapping sounded.

"Wonderful Monsieur Chevalier Lion (Lion Knight)!! That was magnifique!! Beauté! Full marks!!" The boy with short blonde hair said, standing to clap, he sat back down still beaming. 

The other boy cleared his throat, "It was fine... I suppose— Ahem! Next!!" He ran out but not before seeing the short haired boy giving him a wink and a thumbs up.

"Well how'd ya do?" Ruggie asked walking with him to the exit. "I made a total fool of myself!" The hyena patted his back, "Ah, I'm sure ya did fine." 

"I hope so, I bet you'll get in tho." Ruggie laughed swinging an arm around y/n's shoulders. "This is why I love ya!" Y/n smiled.

~.~

Word Count: 1288

(Edited)

Hope ya'll had a good day/are having a good day. I hope this was alright.

Love ya,

MWAH!!!