chapter eighteen, caught in a lie

━━━⁠ ♡ ━━━

aviva mccall had just entered inside the living room, her sighing out, her dark brown eyes then flickering inside the living room, her seeing her father now coming down the stairs, as if in a hurry.

raphael mccall had reached the end of the staircase, his daughter appearing in front of him, aviva staring at him with a serious stare, raphael sighing out in annoyance. "...what are you doing, aviva?" raphael then confusingly looks at her. "aren't you supposed to be at school?"

aviva scoffs. "it's spring break and maybe i should send you back to a good years back and remind you that school's out for spring break."

raphael stares at her irritated, then scoffs. "well, uh---do what you teenagers do." raphael carelessly adds. "go to a party, isn't that what you do?"

"sure, you see...if i wasn't grounded then." aviva smiles.

"f-fine! i'm un-grounding you." raphael groans.

"well, you weren't the one that grounded me-." aviva was saying.

"but, i can make half of the decisions, so, you---go...do something, anything!" raphael frustratedly says.

raphael then went to walk pass her, but aviva steps in front of him, him raising a brow at her.

"what is it?" raphael sighs out. "money?"

"money." aviva sweetly smiles, raphael groans, placing a good set of bills on her palm.

"i'd like to tell you one of my goals for the future, it's a clear inspiration i have for you, you inspired me, dad." aviva smiles.

raphael raising his brows at her, clearly proud. "me?"

"mhm, you inspire me to not be like you in the future." aviva grins.

raphael frowns at her. "what does that even mean?"

aviva sighs out. "it means---i saw you, dad."

                     ━━━⁠ ♡ ━━━

a eleven year old allison argent was seen sitting by her dresser, her having on a couple of brackets on her little hands, her pushing her hands up and down, smiling softly, but then her hazel eyes caught a faint design on her wrist, two arrows crossing together, her then frowning at the mark.

it wasn't clear, but it was still seen, it was a smaller version of the one that henrik has on his wrist.

allison touched her wrist, her not recognizing it before, her then thinking she must've marked her hand by accident, her then trying to rub it off, in case her mother or father catches a glimpse.

"allison?

"allison?"

"hey, allis-." henrik was saying, him stepping inside her room, seeing her rubbing her hand violently. "...what, is something wrong?"

allison smiles. "no, i wasn't doing anything!"

"allison? give me your hand." henrik says, allison huffing, reluctantly giving him her hand.

"allison, my sweet baby sister---are you hurting yourself?"

allison scoffs. "no! do i look like one of those neurotic girls that crave attention?"

"do you even know what NEUROTIC means?" henrik smiles.

allison glanced around, a cute smile forming on her face. "i heard mom telling you not to fall for any of those neurotic girls and in my opinion, i don't think that pretty latina girl that you constantly talking about is like them."

henrik raised a brow. "how do you know these words CONSTANTLY and NEUROTIC? do you even know the meaning? what do they mean?"

allison shrugs, cutely responding. "look it up."

henrik lightly chuckles at her, him then taking a hold of her hand, then frowning at her wrist, him then looking at her. "why are you rubbing your wrist? there's nothing here."

allison groans. "yes! there is! these two arrows, faded, i think i drew on my hand."

"trust me, it wasn't drawn." henrik says.

allison confusingly looks at him. "i didn't?"

henrik hums. "just---think of it as a birthmark, a very special birthmark, okay?" henrik smiles, allison happily smiling back.

                     ━━━⁠ ♡ ━━━

raphael confusingly looks at his daughter. "you saw---saw what?"

"i saw you with..." aviva says, her face twisting in disgust. "her..."

"okay, aviva, baby?" raphael sighs out, keeping his calm facade. "i was just buying something for your mother and this woman works in the place that your mother likes."

aviva rolls her eyes. "like where?" aviva sarcastically commenting. "the strip club?"

"aviva."

"what, didn't you see the way she was dressed? oh! of course you did." aviva sarcastically smiles.

"aviva, it's a very special gift, since it's our anniversary, remember?" raphael faintly smiles.

aviva scoffs, glaring at him. "do you have brain damage? because the anniversary was a few months ago, dad."

raphael's eyes shook not knowing to else to say, him anxiously glancing at her.

aviva's eyes then looking at his ring finger, her seeing his naked finger, then flickering her eyes at him, her softly gasping.

"...you're not wearing your ring, why aren't you wearing your ring, dad?"

                     ━━━⁠ ♡ ━━━