chapter forty two, winter formal

━━━ ♡ ━━━

aviva mccall held onto her face, groaning out in pain, her voice muffling through her palms, melissa mccall slightly scoffing, moving her hands from her face.

"don't be such a baby." melissa gave her a look.

aviva pouts at her. "i am a baby."

"beauty is pain." melissa says to her.

aviva smiles confidently. "i am already beautiful."

"that you are, now---tell me, who are you going with? is it camden?" melissa questions.

aviva scoffs, pulling away, her brows frowning in confusion. "why does everyone think i'm going with camden?"

"...aren't you? i mean, since he came back you've spent most of your time with him, away from everyone else, sweetie." melissa cautiously says, giving her a strange look.

aviva placed a hand on her mother's forehead, then to either sides of her face, thinking she was acting strange.

melissa strangely looks at her daughter. "av- what---what is wrong with you?"

"mom? i really think you need to ease up on those night shifts, you're acting strange." aviva softly laughs.

"aviva, even though you might think the world of camden, i'd prefer if you went with derek." melissa says.

"i gotta go." aviva impatiently says, ignoring her statement.

"you know, your teacher told me about your little outburst this morning..." melissa says, looking at her as she put on the pink heels.

"wanna talk about it?" melissa questions.

aviva looks over at her mother with a smile, her bluntly responding. "nope, not really."

aviva then went towards her, placing a kiss on her cheek, her then smiling at her, then walking away. "bye!"

                     ━━━ ♡ ━━━

the flicker of bright lights flickered around the huge school halls at the night of the dance, the sounds of upbeat music echoed throughout the halls, each in with their dates, dancing with each other---

derek hale was seen sitting on a stool, his arm hooked on a table behind him, the purple mixed with green lights hitting across his face, reflecting in his blue eyes, him staring right at someone who was in a far distance.

aviva mccall felt the stare that was being sent her way, her dark brown eyes flickering towards to derek, who was in a far distance---

both teenagers intensively staring at each other, the bright colors mixing with derek's blue eyes and aviva dark brown eyes.

aviva then quickly glances away, her then looking at something else, anxiously looking at her pink colored heels, her then slightly glancing at him, then walking away from him.

aviva then found herself walking down the school halls, her then reaching outside the entrance doors, then exhaling deeply, her then going towards the stairs, standing by the railing.

the wind was blowing coldly, hitting her against her face, everything shut in silence for a good few minutes.

until...

"bored?"

aviva slightly jumps, gasping out, whilst turning around, a surprise look on her face.

"sorry, i didn't mean to scare you." jessy sheepishly says.