Practice without her

The following morning, Uno and Denise prepared to attend practice together. Denise, dressed in a simple dark blue hoodie and jogging pants, moved carefully, mindful of her injured ankle. Uno, trying to keep his spirits up, donned a navy blue suit, complete with a blazer, vest, trousers, and a navy blue necktie with faint white stripes. He paired the outfit with a light blue collared long sleeve and blue Converse sneakers.

As they arrived at the school’s football pitch, the atmosphere was thick with anticipation. Uno parked the car and helped Denise out, ensuring she was steady on her feet. They walked slowly towards the locker room, where Uno needed to change into his uniform.

Inside the locker room, Denise sat on a bench, watching as Uno began to change. "You okay?" she asked, noticing the slight furrow in his brow and the way his shoulders sagged a bit.

Uno nodded, forcing a smile. "Yeah, just... a lot on my mind."

Denise reached out and squeezed his hand. "We'll get through this. One step at a time, remember?"

Uno nodded again, this time with a bit more conviction. He took off his blazer, vest, shirt, and tie, replacing them with his long-sleeve jersey. The jersey had a collar, with green sleeves and a bright blue torso, matching the socks. His shorts were green as well. He laced up his football boots, the number 10 proudly displayed on the heel and the New Balance "N" showing prominently. The boots were in the same colors as his uniform.

As he finished dressing, Denise couldn't help but admire him. "You look great, Uno. Ready to show the team what you can do?"

Uno smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Thanks, Denise. I just... it feels weird not having you out there with us."

Denise's expression softened. "I know. It's hard for me too. But I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. You have to be strong, for both of us."

Uno took a deep breath, his eyes glistening. "I’ll do my best. For you, and for the team."

Denise gave him a reassuring nod. "That's all anyone can ask for."

With a final look of determination, Uno stood up, ready to head out to the pitch. As they walked out of the locker room together, he felt a mix of pride and sorrow. He tried to push away the feeling of emptiness, knowing he had to stay strong.

Out on the field, the team was warming up. They looked over as Uno and Denise approached, their faces a mix of curiosity and concern. Lance jogged over, giving Uno a supportive pat on the back. "Hey, man. How's Denise?"

Uno glanced at Denise, who gave a small wave. "She's hanging in there. It'll be a tough recovery, but she'll be back."

"Good to hear," Lance said, looking at Denise. "We miss you out here, Denise."

Denise smiled. "I miss you guys too. But I'll be back before you know it."

Angelo, Matt, and Maury joined them, concern evident on their faces. "Hey, Denise," Angelo said, "we heard about the injury. How are you holding up?"

Denise sighed. "It's tough, but I'll manage. Just need some time to heal."

Matt nodded. "We’re here for you. Anything you need, just say the word."

Lorenzo and Meric approached next, with Lorenzo asking, "Need any help with anything, Denise? We can bring you whatever you need."

"I appreciate that, Lorenzo. Right now, just being here is enough," Denise replied.

Matthew and Tristan, always jokers, tried to lighten the mood. "We could set up a chair for you right in the middle of the pitch," Matthew suggested, grinning.