peace..

Matt could sense something was wrong the moment he opened his eyes. The soft glow of the morning sun seeped through the curtains, casting a warm light over the room. Beside him, Y/N lay curled up, their breathing irregular and shallow. Matt gently reached out, his hand finding Y/N's forehead, which was alarmingly hot to the touch.

"Y/N," Matt whispered, his voice laced with concern. "You're burning up."

Y/N stirred slightly, their eyes barely opening. "I don't feel so good, Matt," they mumbled, their voice weak and raspy.

Matt's heart ached seeing them like this. He quickly got out of bed and fetched a glass of water from the kitchen, returning to their side in seconds. "Here, try to drink some water," he urged softly, helping them sit up just enough to take a few sips.

Y/N managed a weak smile. "Thanks, Matt."

"We need to get your fever down," Matt said, his mind racing through possible steps. "I'm going to get some medicine. Just rest here, okay?"

He hurried to the bathroom, rummaging through the medicine cabinet until he found what he needed. Returning to the bedroom, he gave Y/N the medication and then placed a cool, damp cloth on their forehead.

As Y/N settled back down, Matt lay beside them, wrapping an arm protectively around their shoulders. "I'm here," he whispered, his breath warm against their ear. "I'm not going anywhere."

Y/N nestled closer, finding comfort in his presence. Despite the fever and the aching body, there was a sense of peace in knowing Matt was there, taking care of them. Matt's gentle touch and soothing words were more than just comfort; they were a reminder of the love and support that surrounded them.

Throughout the day, Matt stayed by Y/N's side, ensuring they were hydrated, checking their temperature, and holding them close whenever the chills set in. He even called a doctor for advice, doing everything he could to help Y/N recover.

By evening, Y/N's fever had started to come down. They looked up at Matt, gratitude evident in their tired eyes. "You didn't have to do all this, you know," they said softly.

Matt brushed a strand of hair from their face, his expression tender. "Of course I did. I care about you. You're my world, Y/N. I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

Y/N smiled, feeling a warmth that had nothing to do with the fever. "I love you, Matt."

"I love you too," he replied, kissing their forehead gently. "Now, let's get some rest. Tomorrow is a new day, and you're going to feel much better."

With Matt by their side, Y/N knew they would be okay. As they drifted off to sleep, they felt safe, loved, and cherished, knowing that no matter what happened, Matt would always be there, their steadfast protector.

The night was long and restless. Despite Matt's care, Y/N's condition worsened. By dawn, their fever had spiked again, and they were too weak to sit up. Matt could see the pain etched on their face, their breathing shallow and labored. His worry deepened with every passing minute.

"We need to go to the hospital," Matt said, his voice firm but gentle. "I can't wait any longer."

Y/N nodded weakly, unable to argue. Matt quickly dressed and helped Y/N into some warm clothes before carefully guiding them to the car. The drive to the hospital felt endless, every red light an eternity. Matt's heart pounded in his chest, his mind racing with fear and concern.