left out

left out :
Y/N sat on the porch steps, her small figure hunched over as she doodled absentmindedly in her notebook. At ten years old, she often found herself feeling out of place in her own home. Her brothers, Nick, Matt, and Chris, were 21-year-old triplets, a tight-knit trio who always seemed to have their own world. Nick was the oldest by a few minutes, followed by Matt and then Chris. They shared an unspoken bond that Y/N felt she could never understand or be a part of.

The brothers were always busy with their college lives, friends, and hobbies. Whenever they were home, it was like a whirlwind of activity that Y/N could barely keep up with. They were always joking around, talking about things she didn’t understand, and planning outings she wasn’t included in. It wasn’t that they didn’t love her; they just didn’t realize how much she wanted to be a part of their world.

Y/N's heart ached with the constant feeling of being left out. She often wondered if she even belonged in this family. Her mind would spiral with thoughts like, "Maybe they’d be happier if I wasn’t here," or "I wish I could just disappear."

One evening, as the sun began to set, painting the sky with hues of orange and pink, Y/N heard laughter coming from the living room. She peeked inside to see her brothers playing a video game, their faces lit up with joy and camaraderie. A pang of loneliness hit her hard, and she turned away, walking slowly up to her room. She lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling, trying to hold back tears.

Unbeknownst to her, Chris had noticed her retreat. He nudged Nick and Matt, and they all exchanged concerned glances. They had been so caught up in their own lives that they hadn’t realized how excluded Y/N felt.

“Guys, we need to do something,” Chris said quietly. “Y/N’s been really sad lately. I think we’ve been ignoring her.”

Nick nodded. “You’re right. We’ve been so focused on our stuff that we haven’t been there for her.”

Matt, always the planner, suggested, “Let’s take her out tomorrow. Just the four of us. We’ll do something she likes.”

The next morning, Y/N woke up to find a note on her bedside table: “Get ready for an adventure! Love, your brothers.”

Her heart skipped a beat. She quickly dressed and ran downstairs, where her brothers were waiting with wide grins.

“Ready, squirt?” Nick asked, ruffling her hair.

Y/N nodded, her eyes sparkling with excitement. They spent the day at the zoo, one of her favorite places. The brothers took turns explaining fun facts about the animals, bought her ice cream, and even let her pick out a stuffed animal from the gift shop. For the first time in a long while, Y/N felt like she truly belonged.

As the day came to an end, they sat on a bench, watching the sunset. Y/N hugged her new stuffed animal tightly, feeling a warmth in her chest that she had missed.

“Y/N,” Matt began, “we’re really sorry we’ve been so caught up in our own stuff. We never meant to make you feel left out.”

Chris nodded, adding, “You’re our little sister, and you mean the world to us. We’ll make more time for you, we promise.”

Tears welled up in Y/N’s eyes, but this time they were tears of happiness. “I love you guys,” she whispered.

Nick wrapped an arm around her. “We love you too, sis. And we always will.”