53

Mila

"Mila, can I speak with you?" Harlow pokes her head out of her office and smiles. "Just for a minute."

"Everything ok?" I close the door behind me and sit down opposite her neat desk.

She leans back and folds her leg over her thigh. "I just wanted to check in. I know yesterday was a lot." She begins, her bright smile lighting up the room. "How was Scar when she came home?"

"Fine. Great actually." My laugh tells more than my words. "She was in a fiery mood and I just went with it."

She laughs under her breath. "I can imagine. I think I took the worst out of her before sending her your way."

"Was she ok?" I ask, wondering how far her temper could have taken her. "I've never seen her like that."

Harlow sighs, looking down into her lap. "She was furious, devastated, anxious. You know, as to be expected."

"Right."

"She's ok." Harlow softens. "Complicated arrangements come with complicated emotions. Scar has fought off more demons in this world than anyone should have to encounter." I look on at her trustingly, a stark difference from last week. "That woman is a nasty piece of work, and unfortunately, Scarlet is almost certainly susceptible to her manipulation."

"What did she want?" My throat tightens.

Harlow shrugs. "Money? Attention? I don't know." She admits. "She has been barred from this building since opening day. How she managed to get in is something we are looking into."

I laugh with a shaking head. "It's not fair." My eyes blink hard, threatening to spill with tears. "She doesn't deserve this? I just wish I could create a force field or something." Harlow laughs politely. "Shield her away from that lunatic and her weird motives."

"I would encourage Scarlet to focus on the kids." She advises. "She was born to be a mother, and Teddy needs her to be ok. He's sensitive. They've been through enough."

"I know."

"Listen." Harlow begins, leaning forward in her luxury chair. "You're her entire world right now. Despite the drama, she has never doubted that. I think it's best you both just focus on your little family."

I sigh. "Family is a strange concept to me." I explain. "I never really had one, and now these two? I have no idea how to feel about it."

"Happy?" Harlow mocks playfully. "Mila, you deserve this. I know it's weird and may take some adjusting, but embrace it? Good karma is over due. Don't let that woman tarnish your connection."

"Thanks, Harlow." I push a smile onto my lips and take a deep breath in. "I'll work on it."

"Good. And hey, don't be afraid to come talk to me if something is bothering you." She catches as I reach to open the door. "I know her very well, and I'm aware of your position in this world. I'm always here."

I smile and close the door behind me, walking out onto the floor only to see Scarlet draping a model in the distance. It's a rare occurrence to see her so involved, and I'm almost certain to hear a laugh from her pretty gloss lips.

"She looks happy." Fox nudges my elbow. "What did you do to her last night?"

I scoff. "You mean what did she do to herself?"

"Oh?" He places his hand on his chest and cocks a brow. "Involve me, come on. What happened?"

"Fox." I chuckle.

"What?" He gasps. "I'm gay, mama. Just let me be nosey."

I roll my eyes playfully and follow him to the workstation beside the window. "Well. She was in a pretty savage mood when she came home, and we ended up having some spicy sex." His chuckle prompts me to continue. "She handcuffed me and made me watch her pleasure herself."