C34. I can't see anymore.

Chapter 34

Shen Minglou gripped his phone with both hands, the sound of breathing and the thunder of the rain accompanied the call in his ear.

"Xiao Yue?" His voice was urgent and uneasy, the last note swallowed by fear, leaving only a faint breath.

"..."

There was silence on the other end of the phone for a while, gradually followed by the sound of raindrops.

In the chaotic rain, his voice was drowned out by the downpour, his usually clear voice sounding hoarse amid the clamor of the rain, "Where are you? I'll come right over!"

"I..."

Shen Minglou opened his mouth, facing the fear of the darkness that made it difficult for him to continue speaking. He gathered all his strength and managed to say, "I'm in Unit 1301, Changyuan 2."

"Okay, I'll be right there!"

Upon hearing the resolute reply, Shen Minglou reluctantly felt reassured, but fear still gripped him. Whether with eyes open or closed, his world had lost color and brightness.

His nose stung, warm tears moistened his eyes. When something unexpected happened, the thought of caring for his loved ones made him reveal his hidden vulnerability beneath his usual strength in the midst of panic.

In the car phone holder, Shen Minglou's tearful voice echoed inside the car.

"My eyes have a problem..."

His voice grew softer, and he weakly confessed to his innermost feelings over the phone, "I can't see...brother..."

"I...again..."

A faint crying sound emerged, the soft voice squeezing his heart tightly, leaving no breathing space.

"..."

The hand holding the steering wheel paused, then a sharp horn sounded.

In the roaring wind and rain, he stepped on the gas, speeding past the few remaining cars on the late-night road, with some drivers startled by his sudden honk.

"Who's that, driving so fast in this heavy rain?"

The pouring rain fell on the ground, and some drivers looked towards the car that had honked.

In the dark night, the car sped past, leaving only a long trail of red taillights.

The sound of rushing wind mixed with the voice on the phone reached Shen Minglou's ears.

"Don't be afraid, I'll be there soon."

"Okay..."

Qin Zhichen gripped the steering wheel tightly, pressed on the gas pedal, and the car raced towards the residential area where Shen Minglou was.

He stopped at the entrance of the community, flashing the car lights towards the security guard in the guard booth, rousing him from his drowsy state.

The security guard was dazzled by the car lights, barely able to open his eyes, and raised the barrier to let Qin Zhichen's car pass through.

Qin Zhichen stood in front of Shen Minglou's building, holding a black umbrella and looking up.

It was the early morning, and the lights in the community were sparse.

One light flickered and then faded into darkness.

He entered the building, his gaze heavy, placing the umbrella on the ground, and a notice board caught his attention.