C40. Good Morning.

Chapter 40

A chime echoed as someone behind him pushed him out of the elevator. The sound-activated lights flickered on, illuminating the entire corridor.

The footsteps of his companion were unhurried, and the pace of the wheelchair was considerably slower than it had been in the hospital. The wheels creaked and rumbled, their sound distinct in the quiet hallway.

No one spoke, and Shen Minglou was left to grapple with his thoughts in the silence.

His mind was a jumble, still struggling to process the sheer coincidence of the situation.

After he finished speaking, the person behind him calmly responded, "Yes."

Shen Minglou didn't quite understand what he meant. To be more precise, since the reunion with him, Shen Minglou had never quite understood his intentions.

It seemed like he couldn't grasp the undertones of his words, only responding to the surface level, choosing silence as his response to the true intentions.

Time passed quickly as he pondered, feeling the wheelchair beneath him come to a standstill. Pulling himself from his thoughts, he turned his body, eyes wide open, gazing at him.

The person behind him said, "We have arrived home."

Shen Minglou paused, nodded, said a quick thank you, and tried to rise from the wheelchair.

He had already relied too much on Xiao Yue and his senior brother for help, and now that he was home, he could manage on his own.

Xiao Yue had already opened the door and seeing the situation, quickly pushed Shen Minglou back into the chair, softly saying, "Just stay seated!"

Shen Minglou was about to stand up, but was gently pushed back down. "I can..."

"Don't worry about troubling me."

Xiao Yue could see Shen Minglou's thoughts clearly. He glanced at Qin Zhichen and said, "Thank you for bringing us back."

"Of course, and besides, we are now neighbors, helping each other can help build good relationships."

Xiao Yue chuckled to himself, a great way to build good relationships.

He knew exactly what kind of relationship he was trying to build.

Qin Zhichen paid no mind to Xiao Yue's jovial tone, well aware that he couldn't suddenly overwhelm Shen Minglou. His behavior today had already been deliberate, and any more purposeful attempts to push into his life would raise suspicions.

Shen Minglou had only lost his eyesight two days ago; he needed time to digest everything that had happened during this time.

Taking a deep breath, despite his reluctance, Qin Zhichen said, "I'll head back now. If you need anything, feel free to reach out. I'll do my best to help."

He squatted down, looking Shen Minglou in the eye. "Goodnight."

Shen Minglou watched as he left, feeling a bit dazed. He thought that he would come in for a drink and a chat - he was figuring out how to politely decline when he unexpectedly chose to return home straightaway.

It was both expected and unexpected.

He still couldn't figure him out.

With these thoughts in mind, Shen Minglou politely replied, "Goodnight."

As the footsteps faded away and the sound of keys followed, then the sound of the door opening.

Xiao Yue noticed Shen Minglou trying to catch the sounds and came up behind him to push the wheelchair.