C41. Fine.

Chapter 41

Slowly getting up from the dorm bed, Shen Minglou looked around and saw no motion in the room; his roommates were probably out for lunch.

He asked his voice assistant to report the time, rubbed his eyes, did some eye exercises on the bed, then slowly descended from the bunk bed, gripping the iron rail.

"Not bad..."

Shuffled to the bathroom to wash his face, the cool water refreshed him, clearing some of the dizziness from oversleeping.

Looking at himself in the mirror, he still couldn't see clearly, like a walking blur.

"If I had known there would be a day like this, I should have learned to draw." Shen Minglou, relaxed in the empty dorm, light-heartedly mused about how if he could draw, he might even be an abstract painter.

"..."

Though thinking like this, the sudden onset of the first episode still left him with no room for self-mockery.

Since the onset of the illness, Shen Minglou had sighed more times than ever before, his roommates had noticed this change, but he quickly diverted their attention towards academics.

Returning to his room, he carefully pulled out his chair and sat down.

He hadn't told those around him about his eye condition. His roommates had been kind to him for the time they had been together, but this kindness left him unsure how to respond.

Conflict filled his heart.

Besides his relatives, this was the first time he had encountered someone genuinely good to him... a friend. In the past, he had always been a lone wolf, eager to leave the shadow of the Shen family as quickly as possible; he prioritized escaping his family's gaze over building positive relationships.

Now he got what he wanted, getting away from everything he despised, meanwhile the shortcomings in interpersonal relationships became apparent.

On one hand, he worried that sharing his problems would burden his roommates with excessive sympathy and on the other hand, he was afraid they would distance themselves because of it.

If their relationship wasn't that good to begin with, the distance would have been acceptable, he wouldn't have felt much. But during this time spent together, if they were to leave, Shen Minglou wouldn't feel good.

Every time Shen Minglou tried to speak up about his issues, his roommates' reactions always made him swallow his words back.

The phrase "seeing things differently than normal" stuck in his throat, unable to come out, he just smiled lightly at his roommates' puzzled expressions and said it was nothing.

...Then he found excuses to not eat with them during class, to avoid exposing his current situation in certain details.

Shen Minglou opened his notebook and saw a blue screen, which made his heart sink even more.

Feeling disinterested, he closed the notebook, and within his sight was a wooden color.

He silently decided that if his eyes got better within the week, he wouldn't have to talk about it, but if they didn't... then he would tell them about his eye condition.

After taking a deep breath, Shen Minglou clenched his fists, nodded, and decided to do as he had said. He prepared to pick up his phone, stomach conveniently growling a few times.

Pressing on his abdomen, his throat feeling a bit sour, he remembered that he hadn't even eaten breakfast yet today.

When he woke up, it was already late, he spent a while brushing his teeth and thinking, estimating about half an hour had passed.