C38. I'll take you back.

Chapter 38

Shen Minglou paused, his hand on the armrest loosening slightly: "Long time no see."

He lowered his gaze, under the bright light above, he appeared even paler, as if carved from a warm white jade.

Shen Minglou's fingertips felt slightly cool, a chill seemed to seep into his heart along his fingers.

The sudden reunion didn't bring much surprise to him.

Even when he told Xiao Yue they were "mere passing acquaintances," his heart trembled.

He knew deep down it was a mutual understanding. After so many years without contact, any lingering feelings had slowly diminished into insignificance.

If they had met earlier, Shen Minglou might not have felt this calm now. Meeting an old acquaintance he once admired in the midst of complete blindness, he might have been frantic to flee, unwilling to reveal his secrets.

But now, Shen Minglou lightly glided his fingers over the plastic pad of the armrest. The person in front of him was now on the same level as a passing acquaintance in his heart.

Facing a familiar friend, there was no need for hurried evasion or awkward concealment.

Based on their shared school days and previous interactions, Shen Minglou knew the man in front of him wouldn't casually reveal his eye condition.

Moreover, this reunion... One second Xiao Yue was talking about his situation, and the next second he was there in front of him. Shen Minglou understood Xiao Yue's intentions.

If the man wanted to rekindle past feelings, why appear several years later?

Probably Xiao Yue wanted to divert his attention from the Qin family's matters and had someone find him to meet and distract him.

Shen Minglou heaved a sigh of relief in his heart, feeling a little warmth towards Xiao Yue's actions. He understood Xiao Yue's intentions, but he also had no interest in discussing other matters.

Especially when he still needed care from others. No one would accept having a burden beside them.

He didn't need pity.

Clearing his throat, wanting to thank him for his kindness, and ready to tell him his situation to discourage him.

"You..."

But both Shen Minglou and the man spoke at the same time, their voices colliding. Shen Minglou pressed his lips together, lowering his head to let his forehead cover his eyes, hiding his expression from the man.

His voice was different from before, but still carried the same warmth: "You go ahead."

However, the man hesitated, apparently choosing his words carefully. After a while, he asked in a dry tone, "Are you here because... of your eyes?"

"Yeah."

To his surprise, Shen Minglou answered promptly.

Raising his head, he turned his face towards the man, his hollow gray eyes and the slight deviation in his gaze from the man's face were a straightforward admission.

"My eyes have issues, so I came here to see a doctor."

In a soft voice, he apologized, "I'm sorry for not telling you earlier."

By "earlier," he referred to their college days. The man didn't speak again, only the faint sound of breathing remained.

Shen Minglou's urge to discourage him was strong. Seeing that he didn't excuse himself, Shen Minglou added, "Actually... My eyes first had problems during the time we spent together before. At that time, I could still see a bit, but it wasn't clear. I didn't dare tell you, so..."