C4. Belongings.

Chapter 4

In the Shen family's villa backyard, there was a garden that Shen Minglou's biological mother, Xiao Han, used to take care of over twenty years ago. At that time, the garden was filled with brightly colored and flourishing flowers.

Xiao Han had also arranged for a water pond to be made, where she kept some lotus flowers. Her name, 'Han' with each character meaning a lotus, symbolized her parents' blessings for her.

Since Shen Minglou could remember, he had spent time with his mother in the garden. Xiao Han would hold him as they admired the flowers, and she would tell him amusing stories from his childhood. Looking back now, those memories seemed to carry a faint floral scent.

After Xiao Han passed away, Shao Xuan moved in with the two-year-old Shen Mingxin into the Shen family home. Without Xiao Han's care, many flowers in the garden died, and the weeds grew more densely than the flowers, creating a desolate scene.

Xiao Han's beloved lotus flowers wilted on the water's surface and eventually died too. Shao Xuan, who didn't care for flowers or plants and had no other interests, along with Shen Shanhe, consulted a Feng Shui master to assess the garden.

The master advised that keeping the garden as it was would bring bad luck to the owner and suggested tearing it down and building a rockery with a fish pond to change their luck.

So, the once flower-filled garden was demolished, replaced by a fish pond, effectively burying Xiao Han's presence.

"Today, they haven't been fed yet. Come and help."

Shen Mingxin didn't wait for Shen Minglou to respond; he simply handed him the fish food. Standing by his side, Shen Mingxin scattered a handful of fish food, saying, "This red carp has been in our home for almost ten years, and it's the largest one here. The previous ones couldn't survive, and we've had to replace them over the years. This one is the toughest, lasting until now."

Since Xiao Han's garden disappeared, Shen Minglou no longer played in the backyard or cared about how Shao Xuan and Shen Mingxin managed it.

Hearing Shen Mingxin speak, Shen Minglou responded coldly, "Oh, is that so?"

"Dad will be back from work soon. He has the keys." Shen Mingxin scattered the last of the fish food, "I don't think you want to go inside and see my mom, so why not help feed the fish to pass the time?"

The carps in the pond eagerly ate the food Shen Mingxin had scattered, splashing the water.

"Neither my mom nor I have been inside Aunt Xiao's room. The key is only in Dad's hands," Shen Mingxin reassured Shen Minglou, dispelling any doubts in his mind, "You don't have to worry about us going in and touching things."

Shen Minglou responded nonchalantly, "Whether anything has been touched, I'll know when I go inside."

"A few years ago, Shen Shanhe shouted at me, telling me not to enter his home. I never thought that years later, I would be standing here feeding the fish."

Shen Minglou scattered all the fish food, allowing the fish in the pond to splash even louder.

"How interesting," Shen Mingxin said with an open expression, showing no sign of guilt about the incident that led to Shen Minglou being forced out of the Shen family years ago.

He said, "If I hadn't spoken up about that incident, you wouldn't have the money you have now, and you wouldn't have married into the Qin family."

"I've heard people like you say that Qin Zhichen is exactly your type."

Shen Minglou was gay, and before being kicked out of the Shen family, he had kept this fact hidden deep within himself, not daring to let the Shen family know.