8.2 - Fall into a trap

The man called Lao Wu said unhappily, "What do you mean by how to deal with them? Of course we take them back. Doesn't the base have a logistics department that specifically accommodates ordinary people?"

  "Tsk, I picked up two more people who eat free rice."

  "Stop your fucking nonsense!" the man cursed and turned to look at Shen Mian. Although he tried his best to hide it, Shen Mian still saw the contempt in his eyes.

  This is the instinctive reaction of the strong to the weak. Given his current situation, it is perfectly normal. The man said patiently, "Don't be afraid. We are not bad people."

  The gossipy person next to him sneered, "Of course he's not a good person either."

  Before he could finish his words, he was pushed by Lao Wu. The man was not convinced and said, "Why are you pushing me? I didn't say anything wrong. This is the end of the world. How many clean people can survive? Some people kill for food, and some people push others to hell because they don't want to die. Haven't you seen enough? Stop talking about good and bad things. Living is the most important thing!"

  Shen Mian didn't say anything, but calmly covered Sheng Ziyao's ears. The child was only five years old. Even if that person was telling the truth, it was still too cruel for an innocent child.

  When Lao Wu saw this, he was stunned for a moment. His son died a few days before the end of the world. He was infected with a virus and there was no cure. His son was about the same age as the child, so he felt sympathy when he saw this situation.

  He half squatted down and touched Sheng Ziyao's little head, but he said to Shen Mian: "Our base is not large, but we will not let our people starve to death. You can do what you can to earn water and food for yourself and your children."

  Shen Mian naturally wanted it very much. He could practice in this world, but he needed time. When he had no ability to protect himself, he needed a protective umbrella. He hesitated for a moment and then nodded in agreement.

  Lao Wu glanced at his knees and said, "You are injured, let me hold the child."

  Only then did Shen Mian realize that there was a lot of blood on his knee, which had dyed the fabric of his jeans a dark color.

  He pushed Sheng Ziyao over and said lovingly, "Be good, Daddy is injured, let this uncle carry you downstairs first."

  He also understood that if this man was willing, he could first solve his own problem and then adopt his child. He was nice to Sheng Ziyao out of self-protection.

  Unexpectedly, the child, who was originally very quiet and obedient, suddenly started crying and hugged Shen Mian's arm tightly, crying, "No, no, Dad, don't leave me, I'm scared..."

  Shen Mian explained to him for a long time, but this silly boy just kept crying. Maybe it was because he hadn't seen a stranger for a long time, and he refused to go anywhere except Shen Mian.

  Fearing that the two would get impatient, Shen Mian had no choice but to drag his lame leg and carry him downstairs personally, and did not forget to warn him: "Sheng Ziyao, if your father is disabled, it's all because of you, understand?"

  The child still had tears on his face, but he actually grinned at him. The child was malnourished and looked like a skinny kitten, but when he smiled, he looked quite cute.

  Shen Mian was amused and teased him, "You look so ugly when you smile."

  The child blinked and whispered, "Daddy is handsome."