Extra 24: He

As the dawn broke in the east, the small valley was filled with mist and moisture. A cold wind blew, and rain fell like beads.

Before Shen Mian could react, the monk had already held him in his arms and shielded him from the rain with his sleeve.

"Come in," said the monk.

His body could not stand the cold, so once he got a cold he would have to take more medicine. Shen Mian naturally obeyed him, and just as he was about to follow the monk into the house, he suddenly remembered the unfinished game of chess.

He stopped and said, "Since the game hasn't been decided yet, let's just move the chessboard into the house."

As soon as he finished speaking, there was a slight "click" sound, and Gu Yanzhi picked up a black piece on the chessboard and threw it into the chess jar.

Shen Mian raised his eyebrows slightly and said, "The game hasn't been decided yet, why are you putting away the chess pieces now?"

Gu Yanzhi looked at him and pulled his lower lip lightly. That smile was different from his usual gloomy and deep smile. Instead, it had a bit of the elegance and arrogance of a famous family.

Gu Yanzhi: "What's the big deal about winning or losing a game of chess?"

After saying this, he collected the black pieces on the chessboard one by one. In the blink of an eye, only the white pieces were left on the board.

Shen Mian‌: "Of course, winning or losing on the chessboard is not that important. It's just for fun. But Lord Gu has never been a person who admits defeat. It makes people think deeply that he admits defeat so straightforwardly."

Gu Yanzhi‌: "You don't have to worry. I have no other plans this time. I am really admitting defeat. I didn't lose in this chess game, and naturally I didn't lose on the battlefield with Lu Chen. I just lost here--"

He raised his hand slightly and pointed his index finger at the air.

However, Shen Mian felt that the spot was lightly touching his chest.

"There is no need to continue a chess game that has no chance of winning."

The rain is getting heavier.

Gu Yanzhi's clothes were wet, but he did not look embarrassed at all. He had stripped off his gentle and elegant disguise, leaving only coldness and arrogance.

He knew that he had already failed miserably, so he tried his best to put away the dejected attitude of a lost dog so as not to look so ugly.

Shen Mian said, "You have just recovered from a serious illness. It is not good for you to be exposed to the rain. Let's go inside first."

"No need to worry, the rain is so nice, it makes people feel more awake."

Shen Mian frowned: "Why are you so stubborn? You have forgotten the lesson from last night——"

"Shen Chengxin," Gu Yanzhi interrupted him softly, saying, "I am a well-read Confucian scholar after all, and I still have some backbone. I know you don't want to see me, but I still rushed thousands of miles to the capital. It's not that I have no shame, but because I really can't let you go. I have already reached such a miserable state, please don't make me more miserable, just regard it as your last kindness, okay?"

What kind of mercy is this?

Shen Mian frowned and said, "Are you... leaving?"

Gu Yanzhi smiled and said, "You really know me very well."