Extra 6: Reluctant

It was already early morning the next day when we reached the top of the mountain.

  Shen Mian lifted the heavy curtain and looked outside.

  Fugui hurriedly stepped forward and said, "Master, we will arrive in a quarter of an hour. The guards have already gone to the West Temple to pass on the message. I think the palace servants there have prepared breakfast. You may as well have some snacks to fill your stomach first."

  As he spoke, he took the snacks and hot tea from the palace servant behind him and was about to lift the curtain to put them into the carriage, but was stopped by Shen Mian.

  "Back off, I don't need your service."

  Fugui said: "And these washing utensils..."

  "I'll come by myself."

  Fugui looked at him strangely, because his master never did such things.

  Shen Mian said: "It's not like I haven't seen this before, it's not that difficult, just leave."

  "Yes, Master, be careful not to get burned."

  Shen Mian said "hmm" and took the toiletries from him.

  Just as I turned around, I saw Lu Chen slowly opening his eyes. When he just woke up, his pair of black eyes looked like a sleeping animal, with a dormant and dangerous light that disappeared in a flash.

  Shen Mian pointed at the cakes on the table and said, "If you're hungry, eat some. After all, the prince came to visit me specially, so there's no reason to let you go hungry."

  Seeing him staring at him blankly, Shen Mian frowned, picked up a piece and handed it to him.

  The fragrant and glutinous smell of the pastries penetrated his nostrils, and seemed to be mixed with other aromas. Lu Chen was stunned for a moment before reaching out to take it.

  "Thank you for your grace, Your Highness."

  Shen Mian couldn't help laughing when he heard his respectful words but saw the possessiveness hidden in his eyes.

  "You're welcome, my Lord."

  He washed his face and when he leaned over, the jade hairpin in his hair slipped off. His long black hair fell from his shoulders and spread to his waist. He sighed lightly and picked up the jade hairpin to tie it up as the palace maids usually did. However, it was unexpectedly difficult and he failed to tie it up after struggling for a long time.

  Suddenly, his fingers touched a sturdy chest. Lu Chen appeared behind him without knowing when, and took the flawless jade hairpin from his hand. "Your Highness doesn't seem to be proficient in these trivial matters."

  Shen Mian was speechless.

  Although this was not his first time to come to the ancient world to carry out a mission, the method of tying hair was different in each dynasty. Especially for the princes, it would be embarrassing if they made a mistake. It would take some time to learn everything well.

  He raised his lips and said, "There will always be someone to do it for me, and I am too lazy to learn."

  Lu Chen picked up a strand of black hair and held it in his palm. Last night, this hair fell on his shoulder, carrying an alluring sweet fragrance that made him feel distracted. He should be thankful that his little prince was lazy about these tedious matters, so he had the opportunity to get close to him.

  After he tied it, Shen Mian reached out and touched it, and found that it was tied better than Fugui, and said: "Among the children of aristocratic families, there are really few people who are good at everything like the prince."

  "I grew up with my mother at my ancestral home in Mobei. My father took me back to the capital when I grew up. I was surrounded by warriors since I was a child, so I had to do everything myself."

  Shen Mian asked: "Why is this?"

  Lu Chen paused and said, "It's not a secret. It caused a lot of uproar in Shangjing back then, but Your Highness was young and didn't know what was going on."

  Shen Mian said: "If it's difficult, you don't have to answer."

  Lu Chen said, "It's not that I'm embarrassed, but I'm afraid that His Highness will laugh at me. Back then, my father was obsessed with a prostitute and wanted to take her as his concubine. My mother was always strong-willed, so she naturally refused to agree. The two of them had a very unhappy argument over this, and in the end, my mother took me away in anger. It was not until she died of illness in Mobei that my grandfather agreed to let my father take me back to the capital."

  Shen Mian was a little embarrassed for a moment, so he could only stammer in response: "So there is such a thing. This is the first time I've heard of it."

  Seeing that he rarely showed this expression, Lu Chen asked, "Your Highness, do you pity me?"

  Shen Mian said: "No."

  After saying this, he lowered his head and took a sip of hot tea.

  Seeing him like this, Lu Chen curled his thin lips slightly.

  He didn't feel sorry for himself. Compared to the palace, the northern desert was more to his liking.

  As for the brothel girl, she was just one of the many women his father had favored. Not long after she fell out of favor, she was killed by other women.

  He was unwilling to tell these dirty things to his little prince, and it would be a good idea to use these past events to make him feel a little better about himself.

  Soon we arrived at the West Temple located on the top of Lu Mountain.

  The palace servants asked respectfully outside the carriage: "Your Highness, we have arrived. Would you like to get off the carriage?"

  Shen Mian responded and said to the man in the corner: "I am leaving now, please take care, my lord. See you in the capital."

  Having said that, he was about to get off the car.

  Lu Chen knew that they would not see each other again for at least several months, so he subconsciously said, "Your Highness."

  Shen Mian was stunned and looked back at him.

  "My Lord, is there anything else you want to tell me?"

  Lu Chen said, "Don't forget what I said before, Master Wuchen will come to Lushan to pick vegetables and lotus pears when summer turns to autumn."

  "Okay, I'll remember that."

  Lu Chen added: "Master Wuchen has a different temperament from ordinary people, so don't get angry with him."

  Shen Mian couldn't help but smile, and suddenly leaned close to Lu Chen's ear, and said in a very gentle and ambiguous tone, "My Lord, are you reluctant to leave me?"

  Lu Chen's heart sank, and before he could react, the person who had just teased him in the ear had already left.