Deep Inside

My daughter, Issa, is seventeen years old. I found her in Louisiana in a house being engulfed by fire. Near her was one body, no doubt her mother, with high level degree burns on her body. I could have left her there, like I did so many others. But I pulled her out. She didn't scream or cry. She just stared at me.

I will never understand why I took her in. She was malnourished, weak, and her presence complicated my schedule. Yet, I took her home. I feed her, clothe her, keep her warm. She didn't talk at first, but after a while she started drawing pictures of us. Me, faceless and towering, her, smiling with stick figure limbs. I kept every single one of them to this day.

Issa: I don't understand how people can eat ice cream with mint.

We were on the streets of china town holding hands, with Issa eating ice cream. She was supposed to meet with Akeno, but she asked if I wanted to tag along so I agreed. I don't know why they meet but I don't care. As long as I get to spend time with Issa.

Y/N: There are many out there with strange tastes. One time I met a guy who only ate fruits with bread.

Issa: Come to think of it, you also have some strange tastes.

Y/N: I eat anything as long as it provides my body with nutrients.

Issa: You despise everything that's sweet. How can you live life if you don't like cake? Or candy? Or even ice cream?

Y/N: I like sour candy.

Issa: You and Koneko are probably the only ones out there liking it.

Y/N: Does Akeno seriously live in China Town?

Issa: Apparently. I would have never guessed she would enjoy having the Chinese as her neighbors.

Y/N: I hate China Town. Most of these guys don't even speak English.

Issa: That's the Chinese for you.

Y/N: Isn't that her on the staircase?

Issa: How can you see that far?

Y/N: Good vision is important for guys like me.

Issa: I don't think anyone is like you.

Y/N: People try to be.

Issa: Akeno!

Akeno: Hm? Y/N's here? Why didn't you tell me he would come?

Issa: I figured it wouldn't be a big deal if he tagged along.

Akeno: I would at least be prepared.

Y/N: Prepared for what?

Akeno: For you obviously. I have a dress that I bet you would absolutely love.

Y/N: I don't wear dresses.

Akeno: No, I do. I want to wear it for you.

Y/N: Why?

Issa: I really should give you lessons on women.

Y/N: Why is Issa here?

Akeno: It's a surprise, please follow me inside.