Chapter Thirty-Eight

Grayson

9 Months ago...

"Make sure that everything is in order and everything is all right." "Yes, I will as always, Mother." I say for the thousandth time, everything always needs to be in order. When you're royal, nothing can fall out of place. It could give bad reputation to you. It sticks with you for the rest of your life.

That's why my parents make sure that everything is perfect for the future. A king cannot have a single flaw. That title was raised to be perfect, to be polished, to be distinct. But it really left room for nothing else.

I came to Steyn City because it was supposedly supposed to be secure away from the public. Despite everything, a part of me wants to be free, to taste freedom just once, to finally feel. That release. But no matter what I do or how hard I try, I know I will never get there.

I'm the future king after all. I don't get to have a break. I don't get to relax like a normal person would. And that's just it. What if I want to live like a normal person? What if I don't want to be king? I am my parents only child and son.

The duty lies on me no matter what, but I don't want it to. I want to be free. That's why I'm standing on the edge of the bridge. Feeling the night breeze hitting me. Just as I get momentum to jump. I hear a voice say. "What are you doing all the way out here by yourself?" I turn around to see Azania.

She doesn't look the best. She's a mess. She's been a mess ever since Nick left. She's not the same shy girl she used to be. Instead, she's depressed, angry all of the time, and barely leaves her room. she's wearing baggy clothes, nothing formal.

I do wonder what she's doing out here in the bridge by herself. Maybe she's about to do what I was going to do. "Well, I was planning on jumping." I can see the wheels turning in her head. "No, I'm not going to let you turn Sky into me." She says, running towards me and hugging me.

At least, I initially thought it was a hug. She's holding me tightly across the waist. "I'm not letting go." She whispers. "I can't let you do this to her. She doesn't deserve to feel this way. Every day feels like agony. She shouldn't feel this way. You can't do this to her."

She says and I have no idea what she's talking about. She holds me even tighter. "If you decide to jump, then you're taking me down with you. It's not like I have a life worth living." She says. I just look down at her in shock.

How can somebody look like this and still look free? She looks miserable, but she's free. Because of Nick, he taught her that she's free now. In that moment, that's when I know. She pulled me back to life. The world doesn't seem so bleak and dark anymore.

She grabbed me by the arm and pulled so hard, so fast and so tight I barely even saw it coming. I thought I was going to die today, but she made me want to live. She made me want to taste the freedom that she's feeling. It's not that I have romantic feelings for her, I don't.

But she makes freedom look so addicting that it's impossible not to want. "I'll stay." I whisper to her. It sounded like a promise. A promise that I can't break. No matter what. "Good." She whispered back, looking up at me. She looks like a dark Angel, an Angel fallen from heaven.

She steps back, releasing me, but not after grabbing my hand and pulling me to the middle of the bridge, just in case. "I'll stay too. I promise." She says it's almost as if we're making a pact. I'll stay. If you stay, we'll stay together. "Good, Sky needs you." I doubt she needs me. But I'll be here for her no matter what. Always.