Chapter Twenty-Six

Sky

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous to tell the others my story. It's always been a secret for most of my life. I've learned to cover up my bruises and keep everything from everyone. But now I'm revealing everything and it feels weird. But I have to do this. I have to live.

I can't end up like my mother. She died because she couldn't escape, her only way of leaving was by killing yourself and I knew that I didn't want to end up like her. I wanted to be free but I knew that I needed to take care of my brothers.

I stayed and I tried my best, but even I couldn't stop him from getting a few hits in on them. I mainly made sure that I was his punching bag no matter what I had to protect them even if it cost me my life. "You know, you really don't have to do this." Azania says.

"I want to, believe me I do." I say. "This all began as long as I could remember. My father was never the caring type. My mother on the other hand she was his main punching bag before she died. He beat her every single night.

She tried to protect us as best she could, but there were times where he would beat us all, no matter how young we were. My mother got married to my father at the age of 15. She didn't know any better. She was stuck with him.

They had an arranged marriage, her parents practically sold her for a higher up in the ranks. She never had a choice, she was always restricted and that was just the way it would be for the rest of her life. Once she died, I had to step in. I had to take over, I had to be in her place.

Every night he would beat me until I'm blue. I couldn't stop it, so I didn't try. I would always recognize when he was about to with his drunken footsteps. You could practically smell the alcohol vibrating off of him. He is an addict until the day he dies, he will always be one.

He drowns in alcohol day after day, night after night, it is a continuous cycle of me taking care of my brothers, making sure that they're ok, even if sometimes I do slip up. I had to stay strong because they needed me. No matter what, they needed me. They couldn't live without me.

They couldn't survive the things that I have survived. I was the one to find my mother in the bathtub with her wrists cut open. When I ran to my father, he didn't even seem faced. I had to call the police to take away her body and when they asked what was the problem, I knew I had to stay silent because I wouldn't be able to escape him even if I told the police and my brothers and I went to adoption, we would still make our way back to him.

There was no way that his family would ever let us go. At least that's what I thought until you saved me. It was exhausting keeping up with it. I don't even know how I managed it, but I did. Everyday. I never want to go back there ever again. Please don't make me go back there."

I say tears streaming down my face. Just the thought of going back to that house gives me the chills. I wrap myself up in a ball. Azania, Natalia and Sarah come to hug me. They whisper sweet nothings in my ear, but they promised that I would never go back to that house.

That they'd rather die than make me go back. I hope that that's true. Because if it isn't, I don't think I'll survive.