Chapter 9 - Mistakes and What's Meant To Be

"You don't find love, it finds you. It's got a little bit to do with destiny, fate, and what's written in the stars." - Anais Nin

Mae left the coffee shop absolutely fuming over the conversation and even for just ever being in that position. She blamed Opie, completely, and she was going to tell him as much. It was almost funny he had mentioned the party as she would now use it as an in to talk to him. She knew a conversation was better than simply chewing his ear off but she wanted to, desperately. He had this way of heightening her emotions, good and bad, and she hated it. Deciding to wait, a conversation more plausible with time to cool off, she went home. Mae ate, showered and changed before heading back out. It didn't seem like much of a party but it was early still, for the MC at least, and she'd see the real thing soon enough. Wearing a plain black tank top and jeans she moved up the lot toward the group of men she knew were club members.

"Hello poppet," Chibs grinned as he greeted her as he would any crow eater.

"Hi," she grimaced. "I'm looking for Opie."

Jax stifled a laugh knowing exactly who Mae was from Opie's description and intervened. "He's not back yet." He ushered her away from Chibs and towards the makeshift outdoor bar. "I'm Jax."

"Mae," she offered him her hand. "I wanted to talk to him, it's about work stuff. I can just do later though."

"Nah," Jax waved away her words and pressed a beer into her hand. "He'll be back soon, just relax." Opening his mouth to speak again, Jax's eyes landed on Tara. "Ah, shit, Mae, give me a second."

Jogging toward her, Jax felt his stomach drop as Amelia slipped out of her car barely 100 feet from Tara. "Goddamn it," he hissed and made a sharp turn toward her. "Hey babe," he kissed her sweetly. "I'm surprised you came."

"I have to talk to you," she started, "And honestly after today I could use a party. They were always my favorite part of SAMCRO."

Looking over Amelia's shoulder as he pulled her close, Jax shook his head at Tara. It seemed any try she made was thwarted naturally. Jax was hell-bent on maintaining his family but Tara was pushing, which could be tempting but the interventions seemed too easy. All the sudden coincidences and interruptions when it came to Tara's tries felt like some kind of sign.

"Chapel?" Amelia was shocked when he pulled her in and shut the doors behind them. "I feel special."

Stroking her arm he grinned, sending her temperature skyrocketing and her heart rate through the roof. Jax still, even after so long, charmed and wooed her. "You are special." Lifting her to sit on the edge of the table Jax stood between her legs.

"Yeah, I better be," she mused. "I went to see Tara today."

Furious, Jax let her hands go and stepped back. "Meely," he groaned, "Why?"

"I'm not Gemma," she said taking offense to his reaction. "I didn't go in there starting shit. I talked to the hospital administrator, she thinks Tara should do the surgery and after tons of research, I agree she's probably the best surgeon for Ally." Amelia sighed and rolled her eyes, "So I went to apologize and to ask her if she'd consider treating Alice."

Jax's face lit up, surprised and proud of the courage it must have taken her to go so far, and wrapped his arms around her roughly. "That's great." It was but Jax didn't mind going to LA if it meant more distance between himself and Tara.

When he kissed her, his fingers tangling in her red hair and their bodies pressed together, there was a light knock at the door. Without waiting for an answer, Juice opened the door a crack and was met with a cold glare out of the corner of Jax's eye as he and Amelia continued to kiss.