Chapter 35 - The Best Laid Plans...

"This is what I like about photographs. They're proof that once, even if just for a heartbeat, everything was perfect." - Jodi Picoult

--

"They're leaving," Gemma said desperately to Clay over coffee. "They're leaving today and he sat there and told me to let it go."

Clay nodded, having heard this for days, and waited for her finish. "He'll be back in a few days."

"Only to finish club business." She slapped her hand on the table. "Clay, he can't go."

"What are you saying, Gem?" His mug thudded against the table as he placed it down. "This is good for the club, contracts are signed and deals have been made with other clubs."

"I didn't think it would happen." But it was not from lack of trying.

"It is," he frowned. "I'm sorry, but you should listen to Jax. It's time to let it go."

Gemma could see the dollar signs in Clay's eyes had blinded him and he would be no good to her now. She'd have to continue on herself with what little help Tara provided.

--

Juice threw his bag over his shoulder and glanced at the photo of he and Amelia he'd stuck in his mirror. She looked beautiful, and hungover, and he simultaneously felt overjoyed and heartbroken.

It felt like they were playing house when he was alone with her and Alice. He enjoyed it but he despised the constant reminders of how much she loved Jax when all he did was hurt her.

"Always the fucking nice guy." He complained to no one as he headed out of his bedroom and prepared to head to Amelia and Jax's.

--

Without their cuts or shirts on, Jax's blonde hair and Juice's sweaty chest shining in the sun, the two loaded a few boxes up into Amelia's SUV. Turning, just as Gemma pulled into the driveway, Jax saw his mother parking inches from him. "Jackson," she cried out. "Is Alice okay?"

"Huh?" He pulled a face, wiping his brow with his t-shirt, as Gemma raced toward him. "She's fine, she's inside with Meely. What happened?"

Juice glared at Gemma, suspicious, and listened to her story for holes.

"I was coming back from Luann's and someone was tailing me the whole way. I stopped at the gas station to see what he'd do and when I got back in the car-" she trailed off and opened her back door.

"Jesus Christ." Jax hissed, seeing the note pierced into the backseat, where Alice's car seat was latched, that sent an ominous chill down his back.

"Shit," Juice's eyes flicked between Gemma and the knife.

"We'll see you in Vegas." Jax read aloud before he took off into the house. "Amelia, where's Ally?"

"Her room," she turned from the stack of boxes she was taping and labeling. "She's sleeping, why?"

Without explanation he grabbed Amelia's hand and yanked her toward the nursery. As he feared, Alice was not in her crib and the window was wide open, the curtains waving outside in the wind.

"Ally?" Amelia pressed her hand to the mattress as if the child would appear with a touch just as Gemma burst in. "Where is she?" Amelia bellowed. "Where is Alice you duplicitous bitch?"

"Amelia!" Jax moved between them. "This isn't the time."

"What?" Gemma looked between them then turned her eyes on her granddaughter's empty crib. "She's not here?" Her heart stopped in fear, this was not part of the plan, and her earlier scheme now only gave them false clues as to where the child could be. "You let someone take her?"