Chapter 30 - Learning New Things

"You don't need water to feel like you're drowning, do you?" - Jodi Picoult

The sound of Jax's Harley roused Amelia from her petrified state. She gasped a little hardly realizing how much time had passed as she sat in the rocker beside Alice's crib with her gun in hand. Jamming the gun, note and photo beneath the glider cushion, she slapped on a smile when Jax crept into the nursery.

"Hey," she whispered and hurried to greet him at the door. "How was the run?"

"Good," he smiled and kissed her cheek before squeezing by to peek at Alice. Amelia watched, her heart in her throat, as he passed the glider, smiled into the crib and bent to give her a quick kiss. The last thing she needed was for him to find what she had hidden under the seat. "What are you doing in here? Can't sleep?"

"Actually I heard some noises," she pulled a face and forced a laugh. "I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but could you check it out?"

"Where?" He pulled his gun from his pants, his face suddenly tense, and looked through Amelia with an intense gaze.

"It was around the side, outside the laundry room. I think it may have been the wind though cause it kind of traveled around."

"I'll check it out. Will that make you feel better?"

Amelia nodded, happy her particular wording pushed him to check out the whole house as she had hoped, and kissed his cheek. "My hero," she sang and batted her eyelashes dramatically. "But really, thank you."

"No problem." He slipped away and a mere five minutes later entered their bedroom with a swoon worthy grin. "Nothing, babe, you're safe," he winked.

"Thank you." She started to change, her heart still pounding in her chest, and when Jax stepped into the bathroom, the shower starting a minute or two later, she sped back into the nursery. Folding the note and the picture she slipped them into the pocket of her robe and with the gun behind her back went back into the bedroom and hid it all in her nightstand drawer.

--

A few days later...

After Jax had gone for the day, Amelia sat at the kitchen table feeding Alice her morning bottle, staring at the photo and note she had found in the laundry room. The more she stared the worse she felt about the entire situation. Immediately she assumed it had something to do with Vegas, the photo was so old and taken there that it seemed almost impossible it would be anyone else.

"Ally," she sang as the child's eyelids grew heavy. "I love your morning naps." Laying the child in her crib, Amelia crept out and called Juice.

"Can you come over?" She asked sitting back at the table with her coffee. "And bring your computer?"

"Uhh, sure."

"Oh and don't tell anyone, please. Thanks!" Amelia ended the call before he could question her motives but the second he showed up it was the first thing out of his mouth.

"What's going on?" He stepped into the house, his laptop under his arm, with a suspicious look on his face.

"It's not what you think," she explained, taking his hand and pulling him into the kitchen. "I just need you to promise you won't tell anyone, Juice, please."

Pausing, he looked at her and shook his head. "We talked about this stuff, Amelia."

"It's not about us," she pressed her palms to his chest. "I have to look into some stuff, it's a safety issue, but I can't involve the club yet. It may have to be official, through the lab in Vegas, you're going to help me figure out which channels to go through."