Chapter 64 - Affirmations

"You want to know what it was? The moment I knew you were it? It was when I showed you the darkest parts of me, and, instead of running away, you rolled out a blanket, laid on your back, and pointed out the stars." - Beau Taplin

*In Ireland*

"What's the whispers then, Mo?" Galen towered over Maureen as she sat with a cigarette and an open bottle of whisky at the kitchen table. "Why are ya getting mail from California?" Flicking the envelope in her face, Galen slammed his palms on the table in front of her.

"It's nothing," she shouted defensively. "Has to do with JT, nothing more."

Galen laughed and leaned in closer. "Man's been dead for fifteen years and you were a black mark. His old lady doesn't know shite about you or Trinity."

"Go to hell," she spat, stubbing out her cigarette on the back of his hand.

Furious, Galen hauled off and slapped her with such force she fell from her chair. "What are you hiding? If I have to go to the good priest to find the truth you will not enjoy the aftermath."

Maureen glared at him, mystified as to how he found anything out about Amelia, and refused to open her mouth.

"That's fine," he suddenly smiled as he grabbed her face in his hand. "Keep that mouth shut, I'll find out what this shite is. Don't forget the last time you were keeping secrets someone you loved died."

--

*Stateside*

When Jax arrived home he hoped Amelia had already smoothed the details out with Opie and Alice would be happily settled with her Uncle. He was in for disappointment. Shutting the door behind him, he found Amelia with Alice and heard Kenny and Ellie out in the back playing.

"Ah shit, how'd we end up with two more than usual?"

Draping his cut over his chair at the kitchen table, Jax took Alice from Amelia, a huge smile on her face, and danced her around the room.

"Something happened to Mae," Amelia said mournfully and Jax stopped abruptly. "Half-Sack called when I was there and Ope kinda of lost his shit so I brought em' over here. He's packing up some stuff and heading out."

"She alright?" Concern colored his face and he subconsciously held Alice tighter. "What happened?"

"She's alive," Amelia felt sick to her stomach. "Hurt but nothing critical. It's not club related; I think she got herself into trouble, maybe."

Jax exhaled dramatically and nodded, handing Alice back to her mother. "Let me talk to him. Do we have the kids all weekend?"

"No," Amelia followed Jax right back out the way he had come. "Donna is on her way down now, she's half way here they already planned on her picking them up this weekend. It works out, this way he can just race up there and not worry about them."

"Alright," he cupped her cheek and kissed her sweetly. "I love you."

She pouted and nodded. Whenever someone was hurt, even through no fault of the club, it sent a chill over them and for a while they were keenly aware of the lives they lived. It was easy to forget during the day to day but these moments brought the danger to the forefront.

Making a beeline for Opie's, Jax caught him just as he was leaving, charging to his bike, an old army green pack over his shoulder.

"Ope," Jax called out. "What happened?"

"I don't know," he growled. "She won't talk about it, Sack says she's scared or something, I don't fucking know anything." It was the lack of information that made Opie so erratic.