Chapter 70 - Céad Míle Fáilte

"Since it fell unto my lot that I should rise and you should not, I gently rise and softly call good night and joy be with you all." - The Parting Glass

Gathering at the table, the sun rising a few hours before, Jax and the others tried to push through their emotions to formula the safest plan.

"We need to find Chibs," Jax said somberly. "Hap, that piece of shit give you anything?"

"No," he grumbled furiously. "Said they got his kid, that's why he did it."

No one was touched or impressed by Padraic's plight. "Yeah well now they got my kid," Jax hissed.

"Six hours," Juice burst into chapel. "Six grand for the three."

"Three?" Opie asked with surprise. "Piney's already got one, the girls too."

"I'm going," Juice said forcefully. "I'm going with you guys."

"No you're not," Jax spoke in a deep fatherly tone. "We don't need to roll up there looking like we're starting a war. We'll deal with this quietly, get em' home, then start drawing blood."

"You talk to SAMBEL yet?" Greg asked Jax or Opie, his eyes on the head of the table floating between them.

Opie looked dejected as he shook his head but he didn't speak, instead Jax did. "Piney said not to, he's not sure it's safe if they got Padraic to help."

"So it's just you guys?" Happy grumbled. "I'm not letting my Prez and VP head over there alone."

"They aren't alone," Juice snapped.

"We're all going." Half-Sack said forcefully.

"We don't have to roll up and start shit but you're not going alone."

Opie smiled sadly and nodded, looking at Jax to see if he too was starting to agree and it was obvious he was. "Thank you," he said, his voice heavy with emotion. "We need someone to stay and watch over the shop and shit though."

"I'll stay," Frankie offered.

"Recent transfers," Opie nodded. "Frankie, Greg and Gogo, you're in charge here."

"Juice," Jax snapped in his direction, "Call your guy, we need more passports."

--

"I wonder how long this is gonna last for," Amelia whined as she laid Alice down. The girl hadn't slept more than a few hours since they left Charming and she constantly cried for her father

"She's just acting the way we feel," Mae mused. "I'm just not crying for Daddy; I want Ope."

"I actually want Ope too," Amelia laughed sadly. "I can't figure out what this is about, it's driving me crazy, Mae. Why do they have us?"

Mae closed her eyes and hung her head, keeping her lips tight. She wanted to tell her, at this point it made no difference as Amelia was guaranteed to find out but Mae was afraid of being the messenger.

"Do you still think Chibs isn't involved?" Mae asked instead.

Amelia nodded. "I've known him forever. He's like an uncle to me, to Ally too, he wouldn't hurt us. I know he wouldn't."

"But his kid and his nephew," Mae countered.

"He's not doing it," Amelia snapped. "Don't mention it again, Mae."

Mae nodded and curled up in a ball on one of the cots they had been given. She didn't know Chibs that well, she didn't know any of them that well aside from Opie, and because of that her confidence in the club as a whole was weak.