Chapter 17 - Forced Truth or Indefinite Doubt?

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I love that you're loving it and the idea of prolonging the story! You are all awesome and I really appreciate hearing from you and the time you take to read the story!! Xoxo

--

"No one ever gets tired of loving; but everyone gets tired of waiting, assuming, hearing lies, saying sorry and hurting." - Nishan Panwar              

The terror in Amelia's voice was enough to throw Jax. Maybe, had she not sounded so scared he would have chalked it up to a flat tire and her terrible sense of direction but there was no denying she was in trouble. He had been ready to take charge and own the situation but her fear blew a fog into his mind slowing his thought process. Forcing himself to see through the haze, he called Opie again and replayed the message as the phone rang in his ear.

"Still haven't heard from her," Ope chuckled. "She's probably pissed at you again."

"She's...lost," Jax said with uncertainty in his voice, "I don't know what happened but she's terrified. Are you at the clubhouse?"

"Yeah," he was already climbing onto his bike. "I'll be there; I'm coming to you now."

"Where you going?" Clay asked as he, Juice, Tig and Bobby rolled up and parked.

"Helpin' Jax, it's something with Meels."

"Is she okay?" Juice piped in eagerly.

Opie cocked his head to the side, slightly confused by his intense interest. "I don't know. She's lost or something," he shook his head. "I don't know a lot."

"I'll come with," Juice offered. "In case you need something."

"Yeah," Opie was skeptical but didn't refuse the help. "Now. Let's go."

They arrived to find Jax furiously chewing on his thumb, pacing the kitchen, with Amelia's message playing in the background. Immediately Opie and Juice knew something was very wrong, the background noise and shaking of her voice was enough to assure them of it.

"What happened?"

Jax shrugged, his thumb still in his mouth, as he popped up to his feet. "When I left this morning she was on her way out, her damn morning run, but she never came back."

"Her car is out front." Juice grumbled hitting the play button again. "It sounds like she's on the side of the road."

"But if she was she could hitch a ride," Opie added. "And Meels usually holds her shit together better than that."

"That train," Juice mused aloud. "You hear it?" Replaying the message, he and the others listened carefully for the loud blaring of the train whistle. "Sounds close."

"Oh shit," Jax snatched his keys. "That train yard, under the overpass. Only spot you'd hear both on a call."

"Let's go." Opie was heading out, knowing if she was there, it was worse than they thought, with Jax on his heels.

"Stay here, Juice." Jax called out. "Call Clay, I got a feeling this is club related, and if anyone calls the house let me know."

He sighed, his chest deflating and shoulders slumping down, as Jax ordered him to remain at the house. Juice listened, he had to, but he hated that he would not be there to help bring Amelia home. His annoyance over their relationship only vexed the more he saw and heard after finding Jax with Tara when Alice was in the hospital.

"Yeah, you got it, VP."

--

The more Donna stewed, the worse she felt about it. It never seemed real, the idea of Opie and her splitting up, but after seeing those text messages she realized she had lost Opie for good. All those talks Gemma had given her, the advice from Jax, even Mae's words at the very beginning were valid. Donna swore she knew her husband better than they did but she could see now that she was wrong. Instead of letting her sorrow, even grief, get a hold of her, Donna got angry.