Chapter 14 - Becoming Tangled in Dishonesty

"Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle

Amelia smiled, a ceramic mug of coffee in her hands, as Gemma entered the kitchen, intruding earlier than she normally did. The women had a tense relationship at times, thin lines always in danger of being crossed, but lately a bond had appeared and been strengthened. They had been close for years, Gemma having had a huge hand in raising both Amelia and Opie, but it took her a long time to wrap her head around the romantic side to her son's relationship with the girl. Finally, when they separated and Amelia moved, it was done and no longer a problem for the matriarch but, as they reconnected, Gemma's hostility grew the more Jax's attention to home and SAMCRO waned. Once Alice was born though, Gemma had very little issue with the red head, she was thankful for a grandchild, albeit a girl, and for the stability Amelia seem to bring to Jax's life.

"Morning," Amelia pointed toward the coffee maker, "There's plenty and it's fresh. I had a feeling you'd be here."

"Am I that predictable?" She asked, making herself at home, moving about the kitchen to grab a mug and prep her coffee just as she liked it.

"I'm a mind reader." Taking her seat at the table Amelia waited for Gemma to join her. "I called the hospital, she's still doing great. They said I can see her in a few hours."

Grasping her hand, Gemma smiled and nodded enthusiastically. "That's great, darlin'."

"I also called the clubhouse." She admitted shamefully. "My dad said Jax got drunk and passed out in the apartment, alone. So it's a double win for me today."

"Baby," Gemma's chair screeched as she moved it closer to Amelia. "That was so long ago and when you left," she scoffed, "He felt that for a long time."

"We were so young, I don't think it sank in, I don't know if he really learned his lesson. Just because he's Jax Teller, the Prince, doesn't mean he can do that. It's a deal breaker, but I don't know if that means anything to him." Amelia rolled her eyes and quickly put distance between them as she refilled her coffee. "We were kids; I don't know why I can't get over this shit."

"You were kids but that burn ain't going anywhere." Craning her neck to look at Amelia, Gemma made sure the young woman knew how serious she was. "You and Jax were headed somewhere, you loved him-"

"I do love him, still, I never stopped," Amelia corrected.

"And that's why you still think about it." Gemma said quickly. "That bitch being back in town doesn't make the memories fade either."

"This is my home," Amelia said fiercely, "And I want her out."

With a smile that read trouble, Gemma nodded, understanding and commiserating with Amelia. "I know baby, Charming is your home, and you're Jax Teller's old lady. You may not be able to make her leave but you can be sure she knows where she stands. Charming is your town."

"I'm not a fighter, I wasn't then and I'm not now." Laughing ruefully, she sat again. "We're grown women; I can't stake my claim and make her eat cement. I sound immature enough already saying I want her to leave. I don't do that shit, this isn't me," she sighed, "I don't know, it's like I can feel SAMCRO influencing me."

Raising a skeptical eyebrow, Gemma shook her head. "Is that so? Not a fighter? I seem to remember one instance and you can't blame that on the club."

"One fight doesn't mean anything," Amelia said defensively but still a proud smile grew on her face. "Besides you weren't exactly trying to quell the situation." Loudly exhaling a big puff of air, her bangs waving, Amelia closed her eyes and took a gulp of coffee. "Let's move on."