Chapter 69 - No Gold At The End Of The Rainbow

"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation." - Khalil Gibran

Just about two days later, Amelia, Mae, and Alice were in Belfast; stashed away in the rectory, while SAMCRO, along with Jax and Opie, gathered to discuss the rash of attacks on their families. They'd spent days digging into everything they could, each night another break-in making them look foolish and feel powerless, but still the perpetrators remained nameless. The club was at a loss.

"Five," Clay bellowed. "All in the matter of a few days. How does this happen?"

Jax shook his head, lingering in the back of chapel as he was no longer a member of that charter. "Five? I thought it was four? Who was the goddamn fifth?"

"Me and your mom," Clay said coolly.

"Donna's place and Mae's," Opie added.

"And the fifth?" The guys all looked at each other but no one spoke immediately. "Who was the fifth?"

"Tara," Clay said. "She may not be an old lady but there's the connection."

With a loud groan, Jax turned and slammed his fist into the wall. "Fucking great, this is fucking great."

"They knew enough to know when the houses were empty." Bobby twirled the ends of his beard between his fingers as smoke floated up around his head as he exhaled.

"But not that Donna is my ex and Mae lives in Vegas?" Opie scoffed. "Shitty intel? Something else?"

"They want attention," Piney grumbled. "Nothing was taken; no one was hurt."

"No shit," Clay barked. "And it worked. So now what?"

Tig huffed and grumbled as the others spoke, mentally flipping through the catalogue of crews and business associates with motive but he came up dry.

"Well whoever it is," he snapped, "Missed the goddamn point of the attention."

"You talk to Vegas this morning?" Clay asked Jax.

"Hap said it's been quiet. I called Meels," he explained. "She uh, she didn't answer. Guess she's working."

"Sack and Juice hadn't heard shit. I left Mae a message," Opie said sadly. "But Charlie talked to her and he said she didn't mention anything."

Jax pulled a face and looked at Opie. "Damn, I thought she was done with that?"

"She's a sap," he shook his head.

Clay looked between them, his eyebrow furrowing. "You two can share later, this is business."

Jax nodded, although there was more than just gossip in mind when he asked, and moved back to the issue at hand. "What's Unser say?"

"Cops don't know shit," Clay sighed.

"As usual," Tig added jovially.

"There's nothing we can do now," Bobby said. "You two should get back to Vegas."

Opie nodded. "I want to be there in case shit is about to pop off."

"I'll keep my eyes on Donna and the kids," Piney announced. "You don't have to worry about them."

"Thanks, Pop," Opie nodded in his father's direction.

"Head out," Clay instructed them. "Get your guys together and fill them in. We'll go from there."

--

When Jax and Opie arrived in Vegas it was dark which they expected but, they did not expect to find their houses dark as well. They weren't immediately concerned and stood under the street light to make a few quick phone calls about church. Cigarettes hung from their lips as they shook hands.