Chapter 42 - Time Outs

"And in the end, we were all just humans.. drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness." - F Scott Fitzgerald

Sunday afternoon Tara was busy getting settled at home, on bed rest and feeling sore, without Jax's help, but he was sure to arrive not long after the sunset. He knocked on the door, only entering the house when Tara called out that the door was open, and found her on the couch with a cup of tea.

"Hi," she smiled meekly. "Did you think about it?"

He closed his eyes and sighed dramatically. "You cut right to the chase, huh?"

"This is a big deal," she explained. "I have a lot of work ahead of me, no matter what your answer is, but I'll have more if you're going to deny this child."

"You're keeping it?" He asked without hesitation. "For sure?"

"Yes, I am keeping this baby." She could see his jaw tense. "Sorry to disappoint you. I thought after Alice you'd want more children or at least you wouldn't suggest I abort."

"I wasn't ready for Alice," he admitted but refused to do into details. When Amelia told him she was pregnant he originally wondered the same, if she'd keep it, but now he was thrilled she had. Jax doubted it would be the same with the pregnancy. "I wasn't happy about it until a lot later but this is different and you know that."

"Yeah," Tara huffed. "I do."

"Look, I'll send ya money but this isn't going to be some happy family situation."

Jax had obsessed the entire night over how he could ask Tara for discretion without actually having to say it. He was no fool, he knew how horribly cruel it was but being cruel was far from his biggest issue.

"You're not going to visit?" She asked, clearly disappointed in him. "Your child will see the club and Gemma, everything the Tellers built in this town, but not get to know the real man? This baby will never know you as their father?"

"This was a mistake!" He bellowed. "Me killing Kohn should have been the end of it, this was all a goddamn mistake."

Tara looked away, tears in her eyes, and nodded. "Fine. I'll let you know when I have the baby."

"If you need anything before then, hit me up."

She pursed her lips and nodded watching as he swiftly headed out the door and immediately started on his way home.

When he arrived, almost twelve hours later, he tried his key three times before he realized she had changed the locks. In a fit of rage, he rammed his foot into the front door but the reinforced steel didn't budge.

"God-fucking-damn it!"

--

Monday morning....

On his way from Donna's, a pit in his stomach, Opie finally listened to a furious voicemail from Jax. Returning the call, he assured him it was fine if he crashed at his house but wanted him to leave Amelia be until they could talk it out. He even joked, swallowing back his urge to cry, that they'd probably both be bachelors once he returned to Vegas. Opie didn't let on he was pissed at Jax, he'd need that release later.

Knocking on her door immediately sent Sasquatch into a fit but Opie was thankful for the annoyance, it would make what he had to do that much simpler. Mae smiled, but remained reserved, as she opened the door and welcomed Opie in.

"I put him out back." She explained timidly. "How are you?"

"Fine, kind of sick, think I ate something." Or had sex with his ex-wife but the former was easier to say than the truth.